Search Unity

Point Light Shadow Clip Plane - no close shadows in 5.3

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Savagery, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Savagery

Savagery

Since upgrading to 5.3, I've noticed that Point Lights have a near clip plane value that bottoms out at 0.1. Unfortunately this is too close for a lot of the lighting in my scene (ship cockpit), which used to look great prior to 5.3. In the documentation it states that only spot lights got this adjustable clip plane, but it holds true for both. I would rather not have a clip plane at all, is there a way to disable this, or make the value smaller?

I tried adding a script to simply change it to 0.01 through code, which does appear to set the value in the inspector, but doesn't change the clip plane itself.

2. OneThree

OneThree

Did you ever get this worked out? We're having the same issue.

3. michaelstv

michaelstv

point_light_shadow_bug.png

Same problem here.
    See attached images: players actually stand on the ground, but the clipped shadows from point lights make them appear as floating in the air.
    Is there some bug filed about it ?

4. OneThree

OneThree

In a recent patch (can't remember exactly which one) they removed the hard cap on Bias (not Shadow Bias, just Bias). We've been able to get rid of those floating shadow objects by setting our Bias to a very low number, like 0.01. Lower numbers (0, or 0.001) produced a lot of bad artifacts, but 0.01 has worked well for us (though every game has a different scale, so your magic number might be different).

5. michaelstv

michaelstv

Hi OneThree,

You mean setting the "Bias" parameter under Shadow Type in the Light inspector ?
    I tried different values but they have no effect, not even artifacts.
    Not sure I understand: do I need a patch from Unity ? I'm using 5.3.2f1.