Search Unity

Point Light Range is very low

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Enoch, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Enoch

Enoch

I am not sure this a bug or if this is the way point lights behave in URP, but the range on point lights seems to be completely unaffected by ranges above a certain threshold. I am using 2019.3b6 and URP 7.12.

I can't get a 1 intensity light to have any effect on an object 5m away no matter what I set the range to. It simply seems to not matter at all after 4m. However I can raise intensity to get it to effect things at a distance but this is pretty unusable in most situations.

hyz1995e and Rich_A like this.
  2. Enoch

Enoch

Since you gave us source code I felt confident enough to take a look myself. After looking and even step debugging the URP ForwardLightI was pretty confident that the issue wasn't there. After some messing around I was able to get what looks to be a much much better result in my lights by changing this in the shader:
    Lighting.hlsl line 58 (line 7 here):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Matches Unity Vanila attenuation
    2. // Attenuation smoothly decreases to light range.
    3. float DistanceAttenuation(float distanceSqr, half2 distanceAttenuation)
    4. {
    5.     // We use a shared distance attenuation for additional directional and puctual lights
    6.     // for directional lights attenuation will be 1
    7.     float lightAtten = rcp(1);//was -> float lightAtten = rcp(distanceSqr;
    9. #if SHADER_HINT_NICE_QUALITY
    10.     // Use the smoothing factor also used in the Unity lightmapper.
    11.     half factor = distanceSqr * distanceAttenuation.x;
    12.     half smoothFactor = saturate(1.0h - factor * factor);
    13.     smoothFactor = smoothFactor * smoothFactor;
    14. #else
    15.     // We need to smoothly fade attenuation to light range. We start fading linearly at 80% of light range
    16.     // Therefore:
    17.     // fadeDistance = (0.8 * 0.8 * lightRangeSq)
    18.     // smoothFactor = (lightRangeSqr - distanceSqr) / (lightRangeSqr - fadeDistance)
    19.     // We can rewrite that to fit a MAD by doing
    20.     // distanceSqr * (1.0 / (fadeDistanceSqr - lightRangeSqr)) + (-lightRangeSqr / (fadeDistanceSqr - lightRangeSqr)
    21.     // distanceSqr *        distanceAttenuation.y            +             distanceAttenuation.z
    22.     half smoothFactor = saturate(distanceSqr * distanceAttenuation.x + distanceAttenuation.y);
    23. #endif
    25.     return lightAtten * smoothFactor;
    26. }
    Line 58 (line 7 here), from looking at what you were doing in ForwardLight.cs, it looks like all of the smooth falloff was calculated there and you never needed the initial lightAtten to be distanceSqr. I tried 1 and it pretty much works like it did in Standard now.

Hope this helps someone who was having the same issue.

hyz1995e likes this.
  3. dongdong007

dongdong007

You're right.:)

4. Rich_A

Rich_A

Changing the value to 1 works for realtime lights, but for lightmapped you need to do this also:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/ProgressiveLightmapper-CustomFallOff.html

I havn't been able to figure out how to implement that.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. javier_morawski

javier_morawski

I know this is an old post. But I'm running in to the same issue, and editing the Lighting.hlsl file doesn't seem like a good option, or even to address the issue since whenever I do, Unity rebuilds the package for me overwrites my changes.

Is there an actual solution to this issue?

6. Claytonious

Claytonious