Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Point light not shining. Only directional light works.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by BenjaminApprill, Sep 17, 2022.

1. BenjaminApprill

BenjaminApprill

Hello.

I am trying to create a solar system using HDRP, 2022.1.15f

I've got a Point Light in the Scene to act as the Sun, but no matter what I try, the light won't shine... I've already messed around with the light settings, and distances from the camera. The only light I can get to work is a Directional light, but this doesn't behave how I want it to... I have considered just pointing the directional light at the camera, but the idea of a Point light should be working...

I've tried a lot of things, and their aren't any solutions from Googling this problem... Is there something obvious that I am missing? Thanks.

2. BenjaminApprill

BenjaminApprill

Ok...

I lowered the Radius value in the Shape category of the Point Light component... I can now get the light to reflect off the surface in the scene... However, the point light itself is not emitting from its own surface... Does this require a mesh and material of some kind?

Also, I had the light 10k meters from the orbital I am trying to light... It seems like the renderer is set up to not go that far... I brought the range down to 1k meters, and it is lighting more accurately now...

The issue is the fact that the Point Light doesn't turn into a light emitting sphere like I was hoping for... I think I can make a Shader Graph with an emissive surface, but doesn't that defeat the Point Light approach to some degree? It will work, but now there has to be cross-talk between the Light component and the Shader Graph... It would be cool to avoid this if possible.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  3. Qleenie

Qleenie

Lights only emit light, they don't appear as a mesh. As You already figured, you need to change the material of the mesh you want to appear as light source, by using "emission".

4. BenjaminApprill

BenjaminApprill

Darn... I was hoping to use the Light as the Emission, or the Emission as the Light...

I got it working using the Emission block in the Graph stack, but if I tweak the Emission for a visual effect, it doesn't update the Light simultaneously... I will have to build some kind of Graph to synch these at a later point...

Thank you for the reply!