Search Unity

Point Cloud usage

Discussion in 'AR' started by rxmarccall, Jul 13, 2018.

1. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

I've gotten AR Foundation up and running with ARKit. I'm able to spawn planes and see them visualized as well as the Cloud Points.

My question is how do I now access that point cloud data and use it? I only see the one webpage that is a get started guide for AR Foundation. Does the ARKit for unity documentation apply to ARFoundation too? Or not really?

I've really enjoyed AR Foundation thus far, just looking for more documentation....

2. jimmya

jimmya

Yes, there is a shortage of samples and documentation at the moment, but we're working on it. You can look at the source for ARFoundation to see how it handles point clouds etc. See https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.arfoundation@1.0/manual/index.html and ARPointCloudManager and ARPointCloud source files by double clicking on them in the Editor.

3. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

Thanks @jimmya , the classes themselves appear to be pretty simple, so that's helpful.

Can you describe the Point Cloud confidence values? Is this a normalized 0 - 1 value? Or something else?

4. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Yes, they are normalized 0..1

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Every public property and method of the API is documented (the "Scripting API" link is easy to miss). This might be easier than digging through the code: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...gine.XR.ARFoundation.ARPointCloudManager.html

rxmarccall likes this.
  6. soorya696

soorya696

how to get the reference of ARPointCloud?

7. todds_unity

todds_unity

8. niksasaw

niksasaw

Hi,
    As mentioned in AR Point Cloud Manager, each feature point have a unique identifier, so is this unique across different AR sessions?
    I wanted to use this identifier to build a custom localization solution

9. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

10. niksasaw

niksasaw

11. drewjosh

drewjosh

I'm going to try out ARWorldMap on iOS. Isn't Cloud Anchor from Google ARCore the counterpart to ARWorldMap? Are you planning to make available those APIs as well? Cheers and thanks a lot for your work! ✌

12. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I didn't test it myself, but it seems like you can run ARCore Cloud Anchors on iOS with this plugin (NOT AR Foundation):
    https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-unity-sdk

As far as I understand it, Google Cloud Anchors is very similar to ARKit ARWorldMap, but Google Cloud Anchors also saves your anchors to the cloud.