Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Point Cloud Texture

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by RoughSpaghetti3211, Sep 10, 2020.

1. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Would really appreciate it if someone can share a point cloud texture with me that I can use for testing my vfx graph.

Thanks in advance

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

Not sure if i'm missing your point, but a point cloud is literally that. A cloud of points. A visualizer for a point cloud usually just draws randomly colored dots or other colored shapes at the location of each point. Some visualizers use a texture they put at the location of each dot, but that can be literally anything. So i'm not sure what a point cloud texture would be in your context.

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Sorry let me clarify, I have a point clould setup that read from a texture, I think it has a bug but im not sure if its the texture input or something in the code so I was look for a know working texture I could use as a test

4. Olmi

Olmi

Hm, couldn't you test your texture in editor, for example? Just create a small test texture and then render some debug shapes data to the texture. Pyramid or something like that with just a few points should be enough to test if your coordinates are correct?

And make sure you don't have something else wrong when you're dealing with VFX Graph. Like trying to read from a compressed texture. That has happened to me once or twice...

5. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Ok I dont think it the point cloud code, but my exr rgb (xyz) are all 1 and lower. Did Unity do something to my texture when i imported ? The values encoded into the exr should be way way larger

6. Olmi

Olmi

Have you verified that your exr is actually written out correctly? Maybe it's not the importer. But if they are in 0-1 range, sounds like your values have been normalized to that range somewhere.

7. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

It's multi-part EXR, I will need part 2 for the position data. Any idea how I can get to that?