Search Unity

Point Cloud Renderer (unlimited detail like)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by winning11123, Oct 4, 2016.

1. winning11123

winning11123

Hi Just wanted to show off the next milestone in my point cloud render using Unity. I can't find the thread where I first posted, but here is a video of the static point clouds in action. The dynamic point clouds are done a little differently and are not unlimited (however top out at a very high count) but the static point clouds look like the only limit is hard drive space. I found it an interesting thing with the framerates being so high. All done using the compute shader and my own system which still needs some improving, but thought I would share what I am working on, and am so happy I made the switch to Unity!

Oh, and if anyone has any good ply files they could share to help make a more impactful demo, please let me know as I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Knerbelapps likes this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Glad you're liking Unity. What were you using before Unity?

I'm on my cell and I never noticed any clouds or is the city itself made entirely out of your clouds?

3. winning11123

winning11123

Hi GerBenjamin, yes I am a full advocate now, that is for sure. previously I used my own engines and dabbled a little with unreal before finding joy in Unity. Just love how customizable it is and not having to maintain my own full engine is a big relief.

Yes the city is made of 360 million points, as it is a point cloud render, the model I got from an artist who does photogrammetry.

Knerbelapps and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. axelz58

axelz58

I am really glad that people are giving point clouds more attention, I believe they can improve gaming so much.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

THe performance is amazing. I own other point cloud plugin for Unity and I think is not so optimized by any means.

Can you control point size?
    Can you reduce the point count base on distance?
    And related to previous question, could you contorl the size based on distance at the same time you control the point count?
    I will search among my old projects to see if I've any ply or xyz or any kind of cool cloud.
    You can check my clouds videos here:
    https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U&pi=4

Recently I made some cool clouds but with demo software without export capability.

6. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I just recalled a very big Lidar database available in my country, it covers a pretty decent territory. You will probably need to convert from xyz or other format can´t remember atm

7. axelz58

axelz58

wrong link m8

8. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

9. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

OK budies. I found the Lidar source I was talking about.

But hey! big news!!!! They have just added MOBILE MAPPING DATA!!!!!!!!

http://b5m.gipuzkoa.eus/url5000/es/Z_A116595/PUBLI&consulta=HAZLIDAR

click a map slot and in the bottom part you've the data

1) from flight LIDAR--->2008 Modelo de vuelo-----> Means ground model from 2008
    2) on car LIDAR--->2012 Mobile mapping LAS--->ok self explanatory

in different formats xyz las etc...

Also you've ortophotos to color point clouds!!

10. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I've tested the mobile lidar dat aand its pretty amazing. You've hundreds of Km scanned so you've more than you need. You could combine with aerial lidar for the ultimate testing of your point cloud tool.

Be ware that in urban areas there is no mobile lidar, areas with horizontal red stipes. But you've all the highways and main roads.

11. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

12. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

upload_2017-1-25_1-14-16.png

etc.. like this Km and Km and Km can´t wait to see a test

13. axelz58

axelz58

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  14. Kiesel

Kiesel

Looks amazing! I would love to tinker around with this ;)

15. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Very interested in how you created this. Do you have anything new to share?

16. rich2701

rich2701

This is looking great, are you able to control the point size on all your target platforms?

17. dansopanso

dansopanso

Hey Guys, I know this is an old post but does any one know if there is a point cloud exporter for unity? I'm using keijiros PCX Point cloud importer & renderer and would like to export an distorted pointcloud.

18. winning11123

winning11123

wow I forgot about this post :p.

I use pcd to my own format in Unity, but some of the tools I used to get around formats is CloudCompare and MeshLab. Hope it helps, only two I used for trying different formats. I guess the only way is to find a parser for Unity and then export to that format.

19. gn_dabouz

gn_dabouz

Hi Guys! I am working on a VR project and would like to add an experience using Point Cloud models. However, my point cloud model is really large. So, I am wondering if it is possible to export it to unity. Please let me know what you think.

20. Steve_Euclideon

Steve_Euclideon

https://www.euclideon.com/unity/ if you want to visualise many hundreds of billions of points inside your unity project.