Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Point cloud intensity values across mesh

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jamesheaton, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jamesheaton

jamesheaton

Hi all,

I appreciate this is a fairly unique problem, but any help would be much appreciated.

I am using Unity to render a real-world environment from point cloud data collected by a laser scanner. This is a voxel-based approach where I have split the world into chunks, each containing their own mesh, which are displayed as the user moves around the environment.
    Each point is rendered as a cube, and I have performed the necessary optimisations to ensure that only the outside (uncovered) faces of the cubes are included in the corresponding mesh.

I am now attempting to add improve the realism of this world. I was previously using a single texture for everything as I was solely focussed on getting the geometry / chunk loading correct.

Each point in the point cloud (and by extension each cube in the voxel world) has its own intensity value represented by a short (Int16). I was planning on scaling these values in the range [0,1] and using these to represent a grayscale value for each voxel - this would be useful to highlight features e.g. some parts of the point cloud data have been collected from a road, and when viewing these intensity values in CloudCompare the lane markings and road signs are clearly distinguishable - I want these to also be visible in my voxel world.

Unfortunately I am stuck here as I have no real idea how to display these grayscale values on individual faces in the mesh. I obviously don't want to use a different texture for each individual cube as I have millions of them, so I was thinking about using a texture atlas, but then I don't really know how I would go about creating this for the problem described above.

Hopefully this all makes sense, any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information or if I'm not making sense - I'm having trouble putting my problem into words myself!

Thanks