Search Unity

"Point&Click+" vs "WASD&Tab"

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Christian-Tucker, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

I've been working on my networking for a very long time, and after extensive testing and numerous "dummy projects" I'm under the impression that I have the knowledge to create my first online game. I'll probably make a few mistakes a-long the way, but that's okay.

So, let me start off by breaking these two categories down into basic mechanics:

Point&Click+
    • Click to walk
    • Click to attack (There would be no auto-attacking, spam clicking would be the option)
    • Skill-shots (Requires you to aim your abilities, opposed to a lock-on system)
    • Skill(Reaction&Prediction) based dodging.
    The Pros i can think of:
    • Keeps the player engaged.
    • Much more difficult to macro.
    • More efficient network synchronization for movement and animation states.
    The cons I can think of:
    • Clicking will get redundant.
    WASD&Tab
    • Use WASD for movement
    • Standard cookie-cutter tab-based combat. (Think WoW, Aion, or any other cookie-cutter mmo you've played)
    • Flat rate dodge / parry based systems, opposed to skill-based.
    The Pros I can think of:
    • It's the standard, everyone understands it.
    • Makes the combat-system much easier to work with.
    The Cons I can think of:
    • Less efficient network synchronization.
    • Lack of uniqueness.
    • Would dull down the combat system.
    • Very easy to macro.
    There's probably heaps more I left out/forgot about, I've worked on a prototype for both systems so I know how they work and I know I have the ability to do them over the network, but I'm looking for opinions on the type of gameplay people are interested in.

I derive my Point&Click+ idea from games like wild-tangents "Fate" and most of the DoTA themed MoBA games (LoL, DoTA, HoN) for the skillshots.

The game will take place in an open world, and PvP will be a focus. (There's a large lack of games catering to the PvP croud, and as a hardcore PvP player on a lot of games, and a ex-hardcore PvE player, I feel like I can find ways to make everyone happy.)

2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Coming from mostly PvE, I personally think WoW has taken that formula as far as it will go and there needs to be a change up in a significant way to make any sparks.

3. Petethegoat

Petethegoat

I think it depends on perspective.
    If it's an over the shoulder camera, then as a player I'd be put off by being unable to move with WASD.

4. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Why not a combination?
    And wouldn't the skill-shots and reaction based dodging in the "Point&Click+" incur higher network usage than the 'dull' combat system of the "WASD+Tab"?

5. hopeful

hopeful

In my view you probably want a combination, so the player can choose. Give them the option of either method, as some players like one style and some like the other style.

I don't know that you really want to innovate much, as players often expect things to work a certain way.

Ryiah and GarBenjamin like this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

D3 has an excellent control system. Mouse to turn and move. Click on ground to go to a spot. Just hold to keep moving. Left and right mouse buttons perform your primary and secondary action (generally attacks but you can wire up whatever). Keys 1 through 4 activate whatever skill you have mapped. It all just works and the interface has never got in the way.

Personally I hate WASD and if a game only supports that I am done.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Not sure this should be a con. Some people love mods and macros. Embrace it, and make macros part of your gameplay.

8. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

By "Macro" I was thinking about macro-killing / botting.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I was thinking about auto chaining your move together. Basically having a computer programme that will run through your typical combo sequence for you. Letting you focus on other things.

Bots are annoying, but they are a fact of life for any decent MMO. You know your getting somewhere when people take the time to build bits for your game.