Search Unity

Question Point & Click Adventure with verb list at the bottom with cinemachine

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by HaukeG, Apr 1, 2023.

1. HaukeG

HaukeG

Hello all,
    I am very new to Unity and have already read through various topics and watched several videos about point and click in 2D. In principle, I have also managed so far that my character can run back and forth and that with Cinemachine also the focus remains on my character and I can then also move in larger rooms.
    But now I want to show the list of verbs like open, take, close, use etc. at the bottom, as it was common in the past. For this I have created a graphic but unfortunately it disappears when I move my figure to the right or left.
    So my question is how to do this in the first place. Is the bottom section (where the inventory is also displayed) a separate scene? Then I would have to show two scenes at the same time (above Cinemachine and below the other scene with the verbs)? Or do I have to have two cameras in the scene? I'm still a bit at a loss and can't find any real examples or videos. Can someone give me a tip on what exactly I need to look for? Presumably there are also different possibilities, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

Thanks to all and have a nice weekend!

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

There are probably a lot of ways to do this, but a couple spring to mind.

The first – and perhaps most obvious to me – is for your verb list to exist on a UI layer. This will stay fixed onscreen, regardless of what happens in the game world or the camera. This community-made video looks like a pretty good run-down of how to do this.

Another way could be to use two Cinemachine cameras on layers. Probably this is not the best way to go...it's more of a use case for split-screens and picture-in-picture. But it might work depending on how you want your verb list to work, exactly. Gregory explains the way to do this here.

Hope that helps.

HaukeG and Gregoryl like this.