Search Unity

Point and click camera prototype

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Leiter Jakab, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

I have had this idea for a dynamic camera in a point and click game. It follows the action like on rail. It's not as static as the usual p&c camera, but it doesn't break that feel completely. I do like the feel of the set camera so that's what inspired the idea. Here is the demo:
    http://onetinyleap.wordpress.com/demos/

I don't really remeber this kind of camera from any point and click game. Does anyone know of something like this aor similar? Maybe you could add a zoom function as well. The current version could also do things like focusing, or following a specific gameobject other than the player.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. yls

yls

The feeling is great.

The main question i would have is that you will have to model every objects of the world. And Point and Click often need a lot of assets ...

On one of mine Point and click, the artist had the same idea but we ended up using a parallax scrolling with 3 levels of depth.

3. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

You are right. It would add a lot of work if you were to go for realistic detailed look. My original idea wa to use scenes with assets objects looking like something children would make for a school play. Trees cut out of cardboard and such. It would be much less work with simple primitive shapes. Basically you have to be creative with the art direction. I really think that 2Dish assets in a 3D could make for a very exciting effect. I love parallax scrolling btw.

4. yls

yls

Indeed, the good point is that you can easily use animations to give more life to your universe. Wind in the tree, a windmill, smoke from a fire etc ... It could be really suitable for children ^^.

Using different lights can also simulate the different hours of the day so that you can re use the same scene while gibing it a different feel.

5. kenlem

kenlem

That's really well done. I like the feel of it.

6. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

Thanks! The camera script is available at the same link if anyone is interested.
    Just so you don't have to scroll up:
    http://onetinyleap.wordpress.com/demos/

Suggestions, improvements, and questions are welcome.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. LeakySink

LeakySink

Really cool, how are you doing the pathfinding?

8. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

For the player character I use Aron Granberg's A* Pathfinding Project. The NPC doesn't use pathfinding at all since it's movement is very limited.
    The movement of both characters is done with the path following behaviour of my SimpleSteer system.

Also for the camera I use iTween, and I created the camera path with iTweenPath in the editor.