Search Unity

Point ads to a custom URL

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Shbli, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Shbli

Shbli

Hi

I want to display ads that point to a custom URL instead of directly pointing to GooglePlay/AppStore

The reason being is that we have a custom tracking that tracks all users information who installed the game through the unity ads, like how much progress they had on the game ... etc

The 3rd part URL is not useful since we need the URL to open on the device the moment the user decide to install the game, this is a deep link that transfer information from installing on the App Store and let the game detect that it have been installed through exactly this URL.

In case it helps we are using something called "Branch.io"

Cheers,
    Shbli

2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi, fyi, https://unity3d.com/legal/ads-publishers-terms-of-service#section-4invalid-activity says:

"(iii) using a design in any Application that encourages or is likely to lead to Invalid Activity or other unintended impressions, views, taps, clicks, downloads, installs or other User actions"

Sounds like what you are describing falls under this criteria, so in that case Unity Ads is not the network for you. Remember it's in everyone's, publishers and advertisers, interest to maintain a healthy network.

Please let us know if this is not what you meant.

How would you actually know progress in games made by other game developers (advertisers)?

Thanks,
    Rasmus

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  3. Shbli

Shbli

We are wanting to track progress in our game, not other developers games, we want to know the users that come to our game through unity ads, their investment in our game.

For now unity seems to direct users to AppStore/GooglePlay when they click on an ad, what we need is direct them to a special URL instead of AppStore/GooglePlay and that URL in itself will then save some extra information on the user device and forward the user to AppStore/GooglePlay.

4. DominoM

DominoM

Does the Server-to-Server Install Tracking not do what you want? It won't do the redirect and that's understandable from a malware risk point of view, but otherwise it looks like you can tie advert impressions to installs.

5. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

6. Shbli

Shbli

My marketing team want more than just tracking installs, they want to track whether these users finished specific missions, tutorials, connected their social media and all over picture of the whole ROI (Revenue over investment)

7. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

8. DominoM

DominoM

Seems pointless posting this now that @rasmus-unity has pointed you to the support team, but I was about to ask:

So what you need is a way to link per user data from Unity Ads with say Standard Events from Unity Analytics?

And then to point out that I only have an overview knowledge, not implementation detail so was going to leave it to rasmus if you needed further help :)

rasmus-unity likes this.
  9. Shbli

Shbli

Yes that's true, we are using our own analytics package, it is not unity

but in my analytics panel, I want to be able to filter users based on the ad_refferal origin, for example

Organic
    Ad_Referral_A
    Ad_Referral_B
    Unity ads

so that we want to know which of our users are the most active/interactive users

For that I still think the above URL is only helpful to track instals, nothing more than that, I just want a way from the Unity app/client to detect whether this users have just come from our Ad, or not, by using my own custom URL I save data into the cookies of Safari before the user install the app, and then read them once the app is installed.

I'll contact support and point them to this thread properly.