Search Unity

.png photoshop problems

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Sync1B, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Sync1B

Sync1B

This really isnt a unity problem but I am curious if any one else has experienced it. I have exported a texture from photoshop in a png, and from some reason every time I export the png comes out all goofy, peices have been moved colors have been changed ect. I have tried to ask adobe about this but there customer service is runned by dogs that have no training...

Any how, maybe some one can tell if any thing similar has happend to them.

Thanks sync

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

I had a similar problem with a transparent png I was using to fake a shadow. Ended up using psd and it was fine.

-Jeremy

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

sounds exactly like my problem.. the psd works fine I suppose, but I would much rather perfer a png. Have any ideas on how to fix that?

4. jeremyace

jeremyace

Not really, I am stumped myself. There is nothing like bit depth or anything to try with png either, just interlaced or not... weird.

-Jeremy

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

BTW, what PS version are you using? I am using 7.0 on PC.

-Jeremy

6. Sync1B

Sync1B

i was using 7 same thing used to happen so i up'd to cs2 same thing still happens!

sync

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Why on earth would you prefer one format to another? Unity reads them all...

Try "Save For Web" if using a recent Photoshop (cmd-option-shift-s if I remember correctly)...

d.

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

It doesn't personally matter to me if I use .psd or .png, I like being able to just toss a .psd into unity though. :)

Would be nice to figure out why png isn't working correctly though. I will try the save to web later.

-Jeremy

9. socksy

socksy

File size, and Quality. Very useful things to cover. Especially if your game is downloaded. Yes I do know it's compressed anyway.

And Billy, please try and retype the last sentence. I only understood it on the fith pass ;)

10. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah I mean it's obviously not a big deal but I just wanted to find out if other people have had problems with png's. You think adobe would look into it, not that adobe is a go get 'em kinda of company. The only thing they did sorta did right is photoshop, IMHO.

Aren't there size differences between them to? I would expect a psd is bigger...

sync

11. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Unity reads in whatever image format and converts it to one of its native formats depending on the Import Settings for the asset. DXTC1 and DXTC3 are both compressed. The latter has an alpha channel. You'd be wasting your time trying to optimize pngs if they are going to Unity. Just use whatever format is most convenient to save in that Unity reads. We always use psd.

-Jon

12. Bampf

Bampf

Is Unity reading in the alpha channel correctly when you save as psd? If so, does your psd have layers?

I ask because if I save as layered psd from Gimp, Unity does not seem to see the alpha channel, and neither does Preview. Seems like Quicktime is not reading the file correctly. And yet I'm told that Photoshop reads in a Gimp psd without incident. So I'd assumed it was a Quicktime problem.

If your experience is different then I might pursue this some more.

Thanks,
    Matt

13. hypersasquatch

hypersasquatch

I am having the same problem,

Even with psd's my alphas are coming in with a white trim around them because its sampling the transparent with a white value.

Anyone found a solution to set your transparent bleed color for either a psd or 24png file.

14. hypersasquatch

hypersasquatch

ok just so there is a writen solution, I solved it with psd's, heres my steps

load your image in photoshop,

add a colored solid layer behind the image with whatever color the boarder of your image is. (this will be the bleed color that is sampled by unity)

then ctrl click your image layer, and add an alpha layer under the channels tab, fill the selection white in that alpha layer.

then save out a psd, uncheck the layers button but leave the alpha check on in your psd save options.

this should give you a file in unity that has your colored background with an alpha coming from your channels tab.

BAM !

as for png's, I havent been able to figure that one out...