Search Unity

plyGame, no-scripting game maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Jan 25, 2014.

1. icednicco

icednicco

@Leslie-Young What should be the specific version of Unity? For example, Unity 2018.3.3 or 2018.4.1?

Do you have the source files for your plyGame project? I would really like to look at them =) I liked your project.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I do not know. It is too long ago.
    Should work with 2018.4 but if it does not then try 2018.3

3. icednicco

icednicco

@Leslie-Young Thank you very much. Do you have any source files? I want to continue your development and study the code.

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, it is not available.

5. painkiller1989

painkiller1989

Hello @Leslie-Young , the project is closed but the functionality is excellent, can it be used for commercial purposes by downloading it from other sites? I would buy it, but on the asset store it is no longer available unfortunately, is it possible to somehow buy it from you personally? Or maybe there are alternatives to this project? This is a dream question) Forgive me for my English.

6. Polite_Orc

Polite_Orc

7. zKici

zKici

That is awesome, Thank you!

8. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I know this is a bit late, but I wonder if someone can help me. My game is set to release on the 2nd of March:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213660/Into_The_Valley/

Now I have discovered a plyGame bug that I can't get fixed. In my options screen the decrease resolution button works fine, but once I decrease resolution it won't increase again. The code all looks fine and this was working when I originally made it, so I don't know what has happened since. If anyone can help that will be much appreciated.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

@helgarddebarros - Have you tried adding some debug lines/blocks to make sure the increase resolution button is actually running?

10. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

The button shows it is being clicked, but you can't test resolution changes or the full screen toggle in the editor as far as I know. I will paste images of the code in a few minutes.

11. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

The decrease button

Attached Files:

• aa.png
      aa.png
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
  12. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

The increase button

Attached Files:

• bb.png
      bb.png
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
  13. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Decrease blocks

Attached Files:

• aaa.png
      aaa.png
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  14. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Increase blocks. As you can see, I can't understand why the one works and the other doesn't. Not sure what is going on.

Attached Files:

• bbb.png
      bbb.png
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
  15. TonyLi

TonyLi

@helgarddebarros - Here are some ideas:
    • Change ">Resolution" to "Increase Resolution". Maybe plyGame is having trouble with the ">" character.
    • Make a Development Build. Check the Player.log / output_log.txt output after clicking the increase resolution button.
    • Add an action to your increase resolution block that prints a debug line when it's clicked, just to double-check that the button is actually doing work.

16. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

As Tony suggested, add a Debug Block in the ">Resolution" event to see if it is being called.
    Does increase work at all, for example if you did not press decrease first?

17. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I have replaced the left and right arrows with a drop down. Doing a build to see if that works. Takes five or six hours for a build on my steam powered PC, so will report back once it is done, (and once I have had my four hours of daily sleep). Thanks for the replies!.

18. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Sorry, got distracted by a few small bug reports I had to fix. So, I have tried four times in four different ways to get the drop down to work. Tried in plyGame, tried from a Youtube tutorial, tried two store bought options, and I can't get it to work. It either doesn't change the resolution, or it doesn't save it, or else it resets to the maximum when you load the game again. It's really frustrating, because you have to do an entire build just to test if it works right. Three builds in three days, to no joy. So, any pointers on adding the resolution in a dropdown?

"Does increase work at all, for example if you did not press decrease first?" - No way to know, it starts at the maximum resolution, so I can't see if increase works before you press decrease.

In the editor, when I decrease the resolution, I can increase it again, but it obviously is not having an effect when you apply because you can't change the resolution in the editor. In the build I can decrease the resolution and apply, and that works, but once I have hit apply, then that becomes the maximum resolution, I can't set it higher again, but I can still set it lower.

Edit: I did add a debug block, and it does register that it works, and like I said, it does work in the editor, just not in the build.

19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The "Render/Screen/Set Resolution" blocks sets it directly and is not working through the system that stores the resolution you chose. They are just direct interaction with the Unity API like rest of the "common" blocks.

For automation you need to use the plyGame specific stuff.
    Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Change Resolution (used with buttons to choose a res)
    Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Selected Resolution (to show player what current selected res is)
    Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Apply Resolution (to apply the selected res)
    Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Save GFX Settings (to save it so it will be restored on next session - normally call this after apply or when settings window closed by player)

20. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

"Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Change Resolution (used with buttons to choose a res)" - and that is what is not working.

Is it possible to use a dropdown instead of buttons?

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Not with that block since it steps up or down one point and a player could select any of a range of resolutions from drop-down.

You could fool the system by trying this... (I suggest this since a better solution would require code changes and recompile of plyGame's DLL)

1. Use one of "Render", "Screen", "Set Resolution"
    2. Call "Render", "Screen", "Set Resolution" with "Decrease" in a loop (let it run 20 times or so). This is to force the resolution Index to zero from whatever it currently is. Remember, this block applies nothing. It simply changes the player "selection" .,. which is not how you change it anyway so it does not matter in this case.
    3. Call "Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Selected Resolution". This will cause plyGame to read the current resolution since the resolution Index is 0 (from previous step).
    4. Now plyGame knows what the resolution is that was chosen with plyBlox's common block.
    5. Call "Render", "Screen (plyGame)", "Save GFX Settings" to save it so plyGame can auto apply it on next restart. You do not have to worry about Fullscreen and Quality settings since those are read directly form Unity. The only problem was the width and height of resolution because those are read from internal variables rather from Unity's API when save is called and that is what you tricked the system into updating with above steps by having it read the resolution into those variables.

Hope it works.

22. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Thanks. Working on it now.

23. Auberman

Auberman

For future members that see this, the version of Unity that plyGame works as expected is 2019.2.21f1
    From 2019.3.0f1 onwards there is a skin issue.

I'm still using it successfully on version 2022.3.5f1 as of writing this. Here's my problem, I'm hopping Leslie is still about and well and could give me an answer as how to fix the graphic issue that I have. See image. This is also affecting buttons and textboxes, pretty much all of the skin elements.

I still love using the asset but would like it to look as is should.

Attached Files:

24. Auberman

Auberman

The only errors I get are UseSin() errors.

Copied style is null. Using StyleNotFound instead.
    UnityEngine.GUIStyle:.ctor (UnityEngine.GUIStyle)
    plyBloxKitEditor.plyBloxGUI:UseSkin ()

it's something Unity has changed nothing to do with the code its self I'm guessing. Here's the Changelog if there is anyone out there that could shed some light on it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023