Search Unity

plyGame, no-scripting game maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 2dgame

2dgame

Hello, can you tell me if plyBlox generates code that i can edit myself? Lets say for when i use plyBlox as a starting help but later don't want to use it anymore. Or maybe give the project to a friend to work on who doesn't need visual scripting but rather edits the code.
    In case this is true, what language would this be?

2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

It does not generate code. It has a run-time API that executes the Blocks (Actions) contained in Events.

3. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey Leslie sorry for the late response but thanks for the hint. I assume that the method you just stated can also be used say for blood and gore? Think of the awesome game called God of War for Playstation and see how enemies' bodies can not only explode but can also get blooded up and torn to pieces. I will see how if I can accomplish this with Exploder and PlyGame together or PlyGame alone maybe. So Leslie if you've seen Exploder on the Asset Store the video I linked seems to have that effect that Exploder actually gives a prefab. However I don't want the enemies to always explode when they die so that's the tricky part when using Exploder. Hmm maybe PlyGame itself can assist me in that process you think?

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You would respond to the "On Death" event of the NPC and use Blocks to perform actions in the event. So you can choose to instantiate the bloody explosion effect or to do something else.

5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

## plyGame 2.3.5 ##

- Added: `Mouse Button Handled` Block
    - Updated: Input Manager set to accept motion from all joysticks and not only joystick 1
    - Updated: Added a way to change the "now loading ..." text (see Loading Screen Editor)
    - Fixed: Blox where not being enabled when a delayed Event was queued for execution causing it to fail if the Blox does not have an event like Update present which forced it to stay enabled
    - Updated: to DiaQ 2.0.9, Blox 1.3.3, and RPG 1.1.8

## plyRPG 1.1.8 ##

- Updated: Simple customiser with more control over which objects and materials to influence
    - Updated: Start code will warn you about undefined Skill if you forgot to remove deleted skills from character's known skills
    - Fixed: NPC was not disengaging when too far from home position

## plyBlox 1.3.3 ##

- Added: Component that can trigger a Blox Event with parameters. It is meant for use on uGUI Elements, like Buttons (Unity 4.6+ required). Thanks to RaiuLyn for this addition. http://forum.plyoung.com/users/raiulyn
    - Added: Various String manipulation Blocks (Common > String)
    - Fixed: Caching issue in Get/Set Property Blocks

## DiaQ 2.0.9 ##

- Fixed: Quest data was not being saved/ restored in plyGame

6. Exeneva

Exeneva

Quick question, and I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere: I noticed you are using legacy animation in your promo video. How does plyGame work with Mecanim, or would I be isolating animations from the framework entirely if I decide to use Mecanim?

7. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

8. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Can this be used to possibly make an online RPG? Maybe not massively multiplayer but 4-6 player multiplayer?

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Space Dwarves did a multiplayer addition using Photon.

10. hopeful

hopeful

@Leslie Young, I can't seem to find the update notes for 2.3.6d anywhere. Can you point the way?

@BlankMauser, It looks like it can be done, but you'll have to modify a few scripts because plyGame isn't built around any networking concept.

Space Dwarves made a kit to run plyGame with Photon, but they've gone in another direction with their project and won't be supporting this kit.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

I was afraid of that since I hadn't seen any updates in a while....

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> Can this be used to possibly make an online RPG
    The system was not create not created with multiplayer in mind. So officially, no.

> update notes
    Updates are posted here, http://forum.plyoung.com/c/announce
    the 0.0.0b, 0.0.0c, 0.0.0d, are minor patches so I do not always post about them. The things that where done for the b/c/etc will appear in the announcement of the major update that follows on them.

.d was probably a fix to the bag auto sort feature cause I know there was a bug in that recently.

13. hopeful

hopeful

That's where I looked. And I see notes for 2.3.6b and 2.3.6c, but not 2.3.6d. I've already downloaded "d," but I always like to see what's changed before I import the update.

14. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

So it is possible to make any kind of game with plygame? I mostly make 2D games using free assets.

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I can't really say yes or no since it would depend on your skill. Have a look at the docs to see what kind of systems it includes, http://www.plyoung.com/plygame/

The system includes code to handle saving and loading, splash screens, and UI creation, and different languages (localization) without doing code. Then there is DiaQ to help create dialogues and quest in a visual node based way. The included Blox (version 1.xx) can be used to create logic and respond on Events that are triggered.

There is also an RPG module included. It has systems for defining Attributes, character Classes, Skills, etc; and has controllers to handle NPCs and top-down/ 3rd person player characters.

So, if you wanted to make a 2.5D RPG Game then a lot of systems are there to reuse but there would not be any controllers that knows how to move a characters around in a 2D world. This you would either have to create with script or with Blox (both require that you have the skill to create this kind of logic).

16. OnePxl

OnePxl

Quick question: does it support multiple player characters at once, for (local) multiplayer?

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The RPG module was not created with multiplayer in mind. Hot-seat multiplayer or controlling a player party is not supported since the player controller and player manager expects there to be only one player character in the scene.

18. OnePxl

OnePxl

Okay, thanks.

19. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

What is difference between Plygame and blox ?

20. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Blox is a visual scripting solution. See more info here, http://www.plyoung.com/blox/

plygame includes various systems that you might need when making a game. For example, it includes a Loading/Saving system, can handle splash screens, load screens and menu without having to code, has a system for translations of text used in the game, includes an RPG module that has various RPG related features like player and NPC controllers, setting up skills, character attributes, etc. plyGame actually makes use of and includes Blox version 1.xx to handle the visual scripting side in it. See more info here, http://plyoung.appspot.com/docs/index.html

21. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I have just downloaded your latest version, and I'm using the top down controller which works fine (using the mouse click/hold). The problem I'm having is that the movement animation (running), doesn't start immediately when I click the mouse, so the toon "slides" quite a bit before the animation kicks in...where do I rectify this? I tried changing the 'speed detect' and 'click detect' settings, but that had no effect, so I checked the animation itself and it's not that either. Thanks.

22. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Are you sure your animation is correct and do not have delays? Which controller are you using, Legacy or Mecanim? Make sure the speed detect is set up correctly in legacy. It is first time someone report an issue like this and I've never had it myself.

23. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I just got back on here to let you know I found the reason: I had only listed his running animation (legacy) for the forward movement; it seems I have to fill out all the running direction options (left, right backwards etc), and now it works fine. I only found this out as I was watching one of your vids and noticed you had listed the same animation for all the directions. Don't know if I would call this a bug or not, but now it works.

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Glad you got it working.

25. alewinn

alewinn

Hello Leslie,

I know you already replied that PlyGame is officially not supporting networking.
    Will you plan to introduce networking later, when the new Unity networking solution will be released ?
    Is it possible to add by ourselves multiplayer in PlyGame (if we are programmer) ?

Thanks in advance

26. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I have no plans to add multiplayer support to the RPG module's controllers.

27. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Well how to make the dialogue bubbles with diaq in plygame?

Reference video:

28. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Hey there, quick doubt: is the blox version present in the plyGame plugin the 2.0 version? If not, what are the differences between them?

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

plyGame uses Blox version 1.x. Too much has changed between the two versions to make plyGame compatible with the new Blox. As a visual scripting backing for plyGame, Blox 1 is still sufficient since plyGame does most of the work anyway and only need Blox so you can tell it what it should do when some events occur.

Basically, do not buy plyGame if you are only interested in the Blox system. plyGame is more than just the visual scripting component of it. You will get plyGame if you want all the other systems like the components of the RPG module or the loading and saving system. Check the docs to see what plyGame has to offer and keep in mind that these things would have to be scripted if you used purely Blox.

Some of the differences and improvements between Blox 1 and 2...
    • The big one is the way in which Blox data is saved. It is no longer saved in the Blox component on the Object but in a separate asset file. This fixes problems with the current system, especially when you make prefabs of objects in a scene. It is easy to forget to apply the changes you make to a Blox and then the prefab and other objects do not carry the same Blox design.
    • The majority of Blocks are now automatically created by the system by scanning APIs. There is a config file which tells Blox what to scan and turn into Blocks. So if you wanted to use NGUI you simply tell it to scan the NGUI API. The system basically run through all defined types and turn the fields, properties and methods into Blocks.
    • The overall idea of a State machine and Events are still the same but the run-time API is quite different in the way Blocks get executed because of automatic Blocks where there are now methods to invoke and properties and fields that gets set/ read rather than defined Blocks where Run() is called.
    • Better user experience as everything is now drag-and-drop rather than click and place.
    • You can even drag Blocks out of position to place them. No need for the copy or cut option.
    • Blocks can be placed in the editor "canvas" without being linked inside the event. This is nice for when you are moving Blocks around or want to keep a regularly used one around to make copies of quickly.
    • It can generate C# scripts from the Blocks and auto attach the scripts to your objects (or use the Blox runtime API to execute Blocks)

30. brennababs

brennababs

so when i click on "official site of plygame" im brought to a missing webpage that doesnt seem to exist. DOES plygame still exist?

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

32. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Thanks, I've updated the link. Will look into why the non-www name does not resolve. It was suppose to work.

33. Polite_Orc

Polite_Orc

Hello!

Is anyone have a package of Extra blocks from theme - http://forum.plyoung.com/t/extra-plyblox-blocks-and-components/1924 , can you share it please?

The forum is closed and I cant download it. I tried to write to Leslie Young but have no response for now.
    Thanks anyway.

Also It's sad to hear, that the the best rpg asset for Unity was shut down by it's creator, and the massive amount of discussions and community created content will be destroyed at the end of month with the forum shutting down.

Bought the asset half a year ago, too bad for me for getting it too late haha

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Strange that forum download links do not work. I only set forum to read-only mode.
    Here is a link to google drive with those files.

Polite_Orc and EN_Games like this.
  35. Polite_Orc

Polite_Orc

I can't download cause I am not registered)

Thank you!

36. MAVG

MAVG

Hey is there a way to get the video tutorials of plygame made by you please.

37. tequyla

tequyla

Hello Leslie,

what happens ?
    all of yours videos have been deleted qnd the dedicated forum is down. why ?

Let me know.

Teq.

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I am no longer selling or supporting this product,

39. tequyla

tequyla

Hello Leslie,

i am happy to read you.

concerning the videos on youtube, could you please review your point of view because by shutdown the videos on youtube you delete lot of knowledge DB concerning the setup of plygame and tileed for customers/users.

For the forum, you can lock it as read only with banner: Product not supported anymore. For learning and knowledge DB. Read only.

I hope you'll hear me.

Teq

40. zKici

zKici

Typical

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Did you expect life long support? I developed and supported this product for over 5 years with no upgrade costs to the users. I am moving on from asset store products. What am I supposed to do? "Typical" of people like you to expect developers dedicate their life to you for paying a measly $30 for something.

... and why is this suddenly a concern for you, almost 6 months after I've decided to stop selling on the asset store? If you were so concerned about support then why did you not raise you voice back then? No, you probably do not even own or actively use it and just want to make noise.

42. zKici

zKici

They are All good points, and no did not expect a life long support, but at the very least what would have been kind is to leave videos up so others who have purchased it (yes I do own it) could still go back to it, even better yet put it on github so others can contribute to it and potentially refine it further, etc.

There are better options than just shutting it down, removing everything, like leaving it behind to the community if you can't put in any more time into it rather than essentially killing it, thus my comment; typical.

hopeful likes this.
  43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry, taking out my frustration on you.

I did have the stuff up for a few months after announcing closure. I needed to clean house recently since I will be using my domains and channels for other content.

44. hopeful

hopeful

Developers will abandon their work and move on at some point, but it's not ideal to come to a full stop and just disappear.

It's better for the customers if things are wrapped up on exit, with documentation and tutorials still available, and the project opened up on GitHub.

Best wishes to @Leslie-Young on his new adventures. :)

45. zKici

zKici

That is all I was after,

I truly wish and hope that that still happens, would love to see them up somewhere even for download does not have to be on youtube, and the project on GitHub...

& No problem @Leslie-Young, hopefully you understand where we are coming from and find a solution mid way :)

46. Polite_Orc

Polite_Orc

Just passing by.
    Some generous user of plygame ItsMars made a fantastic step-by-step series of video tutorials, you can still use them for your education.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCi-pgPO6PX0hauuBgubkeLQ/videos

Also you can search on Youtube for some more advanced tutorials, like the ones from XD3SIGN and RyanTutorials.

And some text tutorials for the basic settings are still online there - http://plyoung.appspot.com/guides/index.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  47. zKici

zKici

48. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

This is unfortunate.
    This is why people should only buy assets that are open source.

Thanks,
    jrDev

49. icednicco

icednicco

@Leslie-Young Tell me which version of Unity made the last existing plugin update? (plyGame v.3.2.0)

50. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young