Search Unity

[Plus/Pro 20% off] Mesh Face Optimization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ExcaliburGames, Sep 3, 2017.

1. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Mesh Face Optimization
    Asset Store

This asset for removing not needed triangles/faces from meshes. For example some models has internal triangles/faces, or when you put together several objects and bake it some triangles/faces will be inside of the mesh. Also if your game has some limits for camera angles (platformer, runner, top down view) or you just know that you need only front side of this house/castle/laboratory - you can left only what you need and remove all other triangles. With this asset it's will be easy to do.

TRY BEFORE BUY: If you not sure is it will be useful for you, you can send me one/two your models and I will reply with optimized models.

How to use

Result examples

This is not a final release, I have a lot of ideas how to improve this asset, but I want to get some feedback from other developers. So if you have some ideas/propositions or maybe you found a bug, please let me know.

Best,
    Serhiy from ExcaliburGames.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Looks useful

3. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi b4c5p4c3 my asset just accepted;)

4. jimburn

jimburn

What difference with the other assets doing the same thing in the asset store?

5. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hello jimburn

Can you give links to similar assets? Because i can't find other assets with such functionality.
    Biggest advantage of my assets - you can remove not visible triangles from mesh almost automatically (you need to setup visible point of view).
    I saw assets where you can manually remove triangles, but after 10 hour and pain in my hand i decided to write this asset.

Best, Serhiy

6. jimburn

jimburn

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43652
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25366
    etc... just search LOD in the asset store.

What your asset is doing is pre-calculating the occlusion culling (removing the back faces) from a fixed camera(s) position. The optimizer is done from the camera view which is a problem, because the camera is moving by definition, so if you want to optimize the models, you need to use several cameras and it is complicated.

These 2 assets will optimize the mesh regardless of the camera angle, then you can use occlusion culling to remove the back faces in real time, and regardless of the position of the camera.

My 2cts.

7. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi jimburn

LOD it's something else - LOD allow you render simple mesh if it far enough from camera.
    With occlusion culling game engine can decide render or not render entire object (it can't remove not visible triangles from mesh and render only part of mesh).

With my asset you can remove not visible triangles from meshes (and baked meshes, btw you can bake with my asset), yes it will take some time but it's definitely faster that doing it manually. A lot of high quality meshes has not visible inner triangles.

Please check my example video where i show triangles count in meshes before and after optimization.
    Some good examples where my asset can help you:
    • big combined objects like houses from "fantasy/modern house kit" and other mesh kit
    • if you have static TV on wall, you can remove side which look on wall
    • runner games with fixed camera, or games with top-down camera
    • if you have static barrel with bottom on earth, you can remove bottom side which looks on earth.
    • etc.

Also if you not sure if my asset will be useful for you, please sent me one/two models and i will show you optimized result.

Best, Serhiy

8. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

9. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hello

New version released. Now my asset compatible with Unity 2017.3.

Also i'm thinking about adding "360 degree camera".
    Will be happy to hear some suggestions and feedback about MFO.

Best, Serhiy

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  10. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, does it support multiple camera angles ? I have an open world scene, I mainly want remove the bottom parts of meshes..

11. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi MoribitoMT, Yes it's support multiple camera angles.
    Also you can send me one of your model, i will optimize it and send you result back.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

12. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Thanks for quick answer, I have large opens scenes ( developing for mobiles ). I have not much single angle for most objects, %90 mainly removing bottom faces. Most of textures atlassed, I wonder if this tool can help to squeeze more performance..

I have scene like this for example. My only consideration is just removing bottom parts ( faces obviously, not much vertices ) will help any performance gain ?.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 13.56.08.png

13. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Well everything depends on quality of your models. If your models have 600-1200 polygons and you have in one scene around 20-30k than my asset will not give you more FPS.
    But quite often i worked with not very good models - and it's helps me.

Also you need to be sure that you bottleneck is mesh rendering. because bigger problem can be somewhere else like script, physics, VFX, post-processing etc.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  14. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

To be honest I am more interest in reducing mesh size. I have 2.5M scene with only 60 set pass call ( all texture atlassed ) getting solid 60 FPS on iPhone 6/6S. My main problem is iPhone 5/5S, due to huge mesh sizes and static batching iphone 5 will not start because of memory issue ( 1 gb ram ).

So if I can have reduce mesh sizes and do some clever static batching, maybe I can get it worked on iphone5. I also want to reduce final build size.

My scripts are optimized, textures optimized, only thing left for me reducing mesh sizes :(

Regards.

15. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

DEEnvironment and MoribitoMT like this.
  16. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I own every build report tool from asset store :D

Hey thanks anyway, I will purchase the asset when I finish the map, do some work with your tool and mesh simplify asset. Thanks..

17. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Ok, ok i just want to be sure that problem in meshes.
    Anyway if you will have any other questions, feel free to ask ;)

18. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Oh it is meshes, my final build says 90 MB textures, 202 MB meshes adn around 300 mb scene ( level ) due to pre stored static batching. I have 32 vehicle textures which cannot be optimize anymore, so I am okay with it, however 202 mb mesh too much.

19. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

WOW, it's definitely too much!.
    And yes now i will recommend to use my asset (to remove not needed angles of view) and some general mesh optimization/simplify tools.

20. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Is this app still being developed and supported?

I have a bunch of custom made characters that were built in Blender, pulled into Fuse, and have been rigged and animated for mecanim. They are between 15k and 25k verts. Many faces are on the interior of the model, as they were built from individual pieces (Head and hands, torso and shirt, pants and legs, shoes over feet, etc.) I combined the pieces in Blender (Ctrl+J) and combined all of the textures in Gimp to reduce the materials, but I did not merge the sub-mesh components into one mesh. This results in a single mesh object in Unity, with a Skinned Mesh Renderer that contains 6 material entries, all pointing to the exact same material.
    • Will this app merge the sub-meshes?
    • Will it remove the internal faces?
    • Will it reduce the materials list? (all the exact same material)
    • Will it interfere with the bones, rigging, hierarchy or animations?
    • I use EmeraldAI, and it is a little particular about these things. Can I try before I buy somehow? (I would prefer not to send my custom models to others. They are unique representations of each of my grandchildren.)

Thanks,
    Mark

21. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi Mad_Mark right now this asset has some problem because of new version of Unity.
    Also it's do not support animated meshes.
    I will fix it and add more features later but not right now.

22. shaunysaurus

shaunysaurus

Ah... would that be why it's not working for me in 2018.4.4.f1?
    Even just testing it out on a sphere results in most of the visible faces being culled. (768 tri sphere becomes just a narrow band of 24 tris)

Attached Files:

23. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi shaunysaurus
    Do you use Windows or MacOS ?

24. shaunysaurus

shaunysaurus

Hi Serhiy,
    I'm on MacOS High Sierra

25. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi shaunysaurus
    Thank you for this report. I will look on it.

26. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi shaunysaurus
    Can you help me with testing ?
    If yes, can you please give me your email and i will send you instruction with possible fix.

27. shaunysaurus

shaunysaurus

Sure thing, have just now sent you an email to the support email address in the asset store listing. Thanks!

28. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Good news everyone!
    New version released:
    1)Fixed for new versions of Unity for MacOS
    2)Fixed optimization for meshes without UV
    3)Add namespaces
    4)Moved asset to "Assets/Plugins" folder

29. shaunysaurus

shaunysaurus

Yep, new version works great now on mac!

Here's a little example gif of a pile of carrots from the game I'm working on. Because the game uses a 2.5D viewpoint, I only need objects to be visible from a limited range of angles and can cull a bunch of faces. In this gif, when the pile on the right spins around to reveal an angle not seen in-game, you can see many faces have been culled.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  30. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Looks cool!
    BTW let me know when you game will be ready.
    Also will be happy to test it =)

31. x4000

x4000

Any plans to resurrect this? This seemed very useful.

32. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi x4000 =)

First of all, sorry for long replay.
    Right now i have huge amount of work, and no time for this project. But if it something not complicated, I will try to help.

33. x4000

x4000

No worries at all. I've found a handful of other solutions that make the same optimizations, so I've moved to using those.

34. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

Could you share this solutions?

35. x4000

x4000

Sure -- Mesh Combine Studio 2 can do this, plus a variety of other things. I used it successfully and then set it aside after optimizing the object that I was trying to get working.

Their store page really buries the information that you and I would have been looking for, but the key points are:

1. Remove geometry that is under any surface (terrain and meshes). (this is not precisely what we were looking for, but I did use this to great effect. You can do it under a plane, for example).

2. Remove backface culling geometry on the background geometry. (this is what you and I were looking for, and it does work great).

The wording on that second one was confusing enough on their store page that I couldn't be sure that it would do what I wanted until I tried it. It works great.

36. x4000

x4000

Oh -- the other ones that can do some of this are Simplygon (but that's a real pain), and then there's a new alterantive to Simplygon that plugs into unity which seemed to be able to do similar things, but actually setting things up requires emailing them and so forth and I just couldn't be bothered.

For actual reduction of mesh geometry, I am finding that PolyFew is very very good, although I miss some of the simplicity of Mesh Simplify that no longer works for me. I still use Polygon Cruncher (an external program) for some reductions, but it's usually for ultra high poly stuff. I also use Simple Mesh Combine in concert with some of these others.

Really my use cases for Mesh Combine Studio 2 is for a very limited subset of my normal polygon reduction pipeline, but then again I am working on a game in space. For something where there's terrains or interiors and you can't see all sides of the model, you want something like that one.

37. Silentor666

Silentor666

Hello!
    Is it possible to add support for orthogonal camera? For now "Add camera" adds only perspective camera which is not correspond to my orthogonal scene view camera. Manually switching MFO camera to ortho mode completely make result mesh contains 0 tris