Search Unity

Plugins and Resources inside package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by iPickle, Aug 19, 2019.

1. iPickle

iPickle

Hi everyone,
    I've been working on moving most of my reusable code to packages, and I encounter a weird problem...

When I create the package (meaning, the package is located in UnityProject/Packages/com.domain.package-name), everything works as I expect it, even when building, everything works

No the problem starts when I upload my package to a registry, and then download it from a different project (so now the package is located in UnityProject/Library/PackageCache/com.domain.package-name@0.0.1, and is read only)
    The plugins inside the Plugins folder are not loaded (or at least not accessible from other scripts, no even inside the same package folder)
    And Resources cannot be loaded (both from Resources folder, or for example, editor icons, etc)

Anyone knows how to set it so it will work?
    Thanks!

2. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Just to clarify, the plugins & resources folder worked when you place them under `UnityProject/Packages/com.domain.package-name` but not when you have it published and downloaded elsewhere?

Also could you provide a bit more info on which system and what version of Unity you are using?

3. iPickle

iPickle

@ethan_jl_unity Hi! thanks for the reply

I'm using unity 2019.3 (but also test on 2019.2) working on windows machine
    Testing this for android platform, but it reacts the same when I tried for windows

My structure is this:
    UnityProject/Packages/com.domain.package-name
    -- Resources
    -- Runtime
    -- -- Plugins
    -- Editor
    -- -- Plugins

Every thing works this way.

So I publish my package to an npm repository, and I use a new project to download the package.
    Now, in the new project, the package is downloaded fine, but the plugins are not loaded, the resources cant be accessed

I mentioned the package path because that's the only difference, when I download the package from the registry, unity saves it in the Library folder, and the files are marked as "Read Only"

Edit:
    A quick question.... does Plugins work the same with assembly files?
    Do I also have to reference the assembly file in order to work with them?
    Maybe this is whats wrong with my plugins....
    But if so, why is it working when the package is in a different location?
    Im confused......

4. JPFerreiraVB

JPFerreiraVB

I had the same problem.

Do you have assembly definition for Runtime and Editor folder?

5. iPickle

iPickle

I do, I actually have a few packages, so I have a few cases
    One is a full package with plugins and cs code inside, so i have the assembly files in the runtime and editor
    I have another package that I use as a dependency, this one have ONLY plugins, so I dont have an assembly file since I get a warring that the assembly will not be compiled because it have no other scripts there

Both cases behave the same as I described in the previews post

6. JPFerreiraVB

JPFerreiraVB

Not shure if it helps.

But in order to fix my problem i did the following IN THIS SPECIFIC ORDER.

1 - Create the folder for package
    2 - Create Runtime and Editor Folders
    3 - Create Assembly Files for each folder
    4 - Add Reference in the Editor Assembly file, to the Runtime file.
    5 - Mode Editor Scripts and Runtime scripts to their folders

The final structure of my package is this:
    -MyPackage
    --Editor
    ---EditorPluginA
    ---EditorPluginB
    ---unity.mypackage.Editor.asmdef
    --Runtime
    ---MyScriptFolderA
    ---MyScriptFolderB
    ---ThirdPartyScriptsFolder
    -----PluginA
    -----PluginB
    ---unity.mypackage.Runtime.asmdef

With this i was able to use the package in the project where i created it, and to upload to a private repo, and use it in another project

7. iPickle

iPickle

Thanks for the replay
    This is working as you described if you only have your own c# scripts in the folders, when I used plugins (dll), Its not getting loaded

8. iPickle

iPickle

Maybe this is a hint, the dlls that normally load as managed plugins, now marked as native plugins... maybe this is why its not loaded in the editor? why is this happening?

9. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Would you mind filling a bug report for this issue so we can investigate this further on our end? (https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting)

Please include the information about the managed plugin being recognized as a native one, which could be a key to this issue.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  10. npatch

npatch

I just bumped into this. In 2019.2.0f1. I had Newtonsoft's json dll in a Plugins folder under Runtime folder and also defined as a precompiled assembly in the Runtime's asmdef. In the development project, it all works. As soon as I downloaded the project from a Git URL, the Runtime asmdef is the same if opened with a text editor from inside PackageCache, but if viewed on the Inspector, it shows None where it should have shown the Newtonsoft assembly name. Specifically it shows a message bubble that the greyed out assembly is missing and will not be referenced during compilation.
    Also if you copy the Plugins folder(can't move it as the folder is read only) inside the Assets folder, you get duplicate assembly errors.

11. iPickle

iPickle

Yea, this is annoying, I solved this by having the plugins inside a unitypackage, and import it from an editor script automatically after the package is imported

No optimal at all, but it solved everything for me, including sharing dlls between packages (because unitypackage imports the meta file with the object GUID, you shouldn't have duplicate dlls)

There is another bug, you cant export unitypackage from any assets inside a package, not even in development

12. npatch

npatch

I asked for this in another thread. Since packages might go through custom deploy scripts(see TextMeshPro) to import stuff that aren't accessible directly from packages folder(e.g. Materials), at least make the deploy script integrated with the whole package pipeline so you don't need unitypackages nor metas. Also asmdefs have a dll name in them when it comes to precompiled assemblies. Doesn't need a GUID. It'll get whatever GUID is attached to the assembly name in the project. If it's the same assembly it should only exist once anyway. Otherwise the compilation will probably complain of duplicate/ambiguous entities(I actually tried it out and unless I missed a combination, nearly all times the compiler complained). If I'm not mistaken, unitypackages disable entries they can also find in the project they are imported into.

13. iPickle

iPickle

Well, about the assembly GUID, you can just uncheck use UGUID on the assembly file, and it will use names in stand

Materials, as far as I tested, can actually be used from packages, so does models, what is the case that was not working for you?

I do support your idea of having an "integrated" way to have "OnPackageImport" or something, because right now I am using an editor scripts that runs every compile, and potentially, it can be slow if you have too many of them

14. npatch

npatch

I opened the asmdef in a text editor and it reveals that the precompiled dll dependency , from within the package, is linked to by name not by guid.

Indeed, I can't repro it( at some point, I had an issue referencing a material so I assumed that deploy scripts are used for this purpose). On the other hand, if assets are accessible, why does TextMeshPro need to copy over essentials(shaders, materials etc) inside the project? I don't imagine it's for write privileges(you can't mess with package stuff, only read them).

Yeah, I've made sth like this for a UnityPackage some time ago. The deploy script I made for unitypackages were using InitializeOnLoad, in which case, you comment that InitializeOnLoad attribute out until you actually need it( or until you actually package it).
    Btw I think you can use conditional compilation for this and use script build were you can enable the flag prior to building. That way, even on the dev machine, you don't incur the deployment while developing the package.

15. g__b

g__b

Hi all, thanks for your posts, they are really helpful.
    I have created a custom package to wrap an opensource library, it has the same structure defined above in this thread.
    I have problems including native code in my package, I always get DllNotFoundException.
    Should I create a package with just native plugins and set this as a dependency for the other package?
    BTW, my plugins (.dll, .so, .framework) are recognized as native on the editor, is this a problem?
    On macOS, I have the library in the form of a .framework. Does it need to be a .bundle?

16. npatch

npatch

Make sure the asmdef referencing any dlls. Look it up in the documentation. Otherwise when the package is uploaded, it ignores the unreferenced stuff(I think).
    Also are you by any chance using any LFS? If so, expect that it might have problems for users. For some reason things tracked by LFS get fetched as corrupt file pointers locally when the package is retrieved in the Package Manager. Not sure if it's fixed lately, but at the very least, look out for such an issue.

bleater likes this.
  17. g__b

g__b

Thanks for your answer.
    I tried referencing the libs from the Assembly definition inspector (setting override references), but I can only reference nunit.framework.dll. What should I do to reference them? editing the json manually?
    I also tried adding the plugins in a custom package with no assembly definitions, and added that package as a dependency in another custom package where I have the code that uses the plugins, with no luck.
    I'm not using any LFS, so that cannot be the problem.
    [EDIT]
    They are NATIVE plugin, not managed ones:
    so, how to reference native plugins in unity package manager?
    I tried editing manually the json but it doesn't work.
    I tried creating an assembly definition reference (asmref) but it's useless since I can only reference existing Assembly definitions.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  18. npatch

npatch

As far as the custom package docs go, they do mention native assemblies. But there's no other mention, which I assume means that there should be no special treatment in order for the dll to be packaged, also means there's no reason to create a separate package just for the dlls. I found another thread where someone else said that native plugins don't have to be inside a Plugins folder(e.g. Runtime/Plugins), it could be anywhere inside Runtime and it should work. Aligns with my assumption from the documentation. But out of curiosity, what's your case? Where is the native plugin , folder wise, inside the custom package directory?

19. g__b

g__b

I tried everything I could.
    Let's focus on Windows: if I place the .dll inside Assets/Plugins it works, my C# wrapper (that resides in the package) sees the dll and I can use it.
    If I place the .dll inside the package, it doesn't work, I have a DllNotFoundException.
    The structure of my package is:

PackageName
    - Scripts
    -- Editor folder
    ---- myLib.Editor.asmdef
    ---- myLibEditor.cs
    -- Runtime folder
    ---- myLib.asmdef
    ---- myLibWrapper.cs
    ---- Win64 folder
    ------ myLib.dll
    ---- Android folder
    ------ myLib.so
    ---- macOS folder
    ------ myLib.framework (I read that this should be a .bundle, I'll try to convert/export the library as a bundle)

I tried putting the libs inside a Plugin folder inside the package, but I always get a DllNotFoundException.
    I also tried not using a "Scripts" folder to contain everything, but since in the future I will add resources and example scenes, I'd like to separate things at this level.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  20. npatch

npatch

Sounds like a bug. I can't think of anything else. File a report for good measure.

PS: Have you tested it with different unity versions? Does it happen on others as well?

PS2: Never asked, but better make sure, the dll itself is not present in the host project where you download the package right?

21. g__b

g__b

I did some other tests, sounds like a bug of the editor, the build is working!
    I'm on the latest UnityEditor (2019.3.9f1).

I tried creating the Visual Studio projects with 3 cases:

- dll placed in Assets/Plugins:
    a Plugins folder is created inside vsproject/build/bin/AppName_Data, the dll is there and it works
    - dll placed in Package/Scripts/Plugins:
    a Plugins folder is created inside vsproject/build/bin/AppName_Data, the dll is there and it works, doesn't work on Editor (DllNotFoundException)
    - dll placed in Package/Scripts:
    a Plugins folder is created inside vsproject/build/bin/AppName_Data, the dll is there and it works, doesn't work on Editor (DllNotFoundException)

Same behaviour on UnityEditor 2019.2.18f1,
    except that I can see 6 lines like these before the DllNotFoundException:

Plugins: Failed to load 'C:/Path/To/Project/Packages/PackageName/Scripts/Runtime/Win64/myLib.dll' because one or more of its dependencies could not be loaded.

On UnityEditor 2018.2.6f1 is not working neither on the Editor nor in build (DllNotFoundException), wherever I place the dll (Assets/Plugins, Package/Scripts/Plugins, Package/Scripts) and that sounds really strange (nobody ever noticed that??), I'll look for some bug report about Plugins on this version.

Could the problem reside in the dll in some way?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  22. npatch

npatch

Could be. Are there any dependencies in your lib? Does it link to any other dll internally which you are not providing in the package? Because it shows that it clearly tries to load it but cannot do so fully.

23. g__b

g__b

I'm almost sure the .dll has no dependencies, or how could it work in the build?
    I'll investigate further to be 100% sure.
    If you're curious, this is the opensource library I'm trying to wrap inside a Unity Package:
    https://csound.com/
    https://github.com/csound/csound
    I'm using the csound64.dll found in the 64bit Binaries v6.14.0 archive.
    This is the existing project that wraps this powerful library for Unity https://rorywalsh.github.io/CsoundUnity/.
    Here is the code that wraps the native API.
    It's working but it uses the StreamingAssets folder to hold the libs for the various platforms. And has some problems when building for macOS (assumes the Csound framework is installed in the system), so I thought that creating a package could help with the distribution and use of this library. Harder than expected o_O
    BTW thanks again for your help :)

24. npatch

npatch

Question, why did you use the Streaming Assets for the libraries? Didn't they get built with the built player when they were in the Plugins folder? Or are you downloading them?

PS: Do you have a link to the Package Project repository?
    PS2: Not sure, been a while since I last used a native dll, but I see the kernel32 dll referenced up top. Not sure if Unity links that automatically. You could try putting the kernel32.dll next to your dll in the PackageCache of the host project and see how it goes. I could be wrong about this though but it's the only reference outside the dll you have.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  25. g__b

g__b

I didn't started the project, the author told me it was the easiest way he found to make it work for Windows and macOS.
    It works indeed (they are not built by Unity), but in fact it's not so clean to have things from a library inside the StreamingAssets folder. That's one of the main reasons I started to move everything in a Package.

I have everything in local for now, I am going to create a branch of the repo soon, so that you can have a look!

Great I'll give it a try! But if the kernel32.dll is not linked, how could it be that the library works when built?

Again thank you for your suggestions! I'm glad you took some time to have a look :)

26. npatch

npatch

Technically the correct way would be to move the native dll(whatever tool compiles them) to a Plugins folder and provided you properly set up the import settings for the Windows player, it would be part of Unity's build. I've done it before, which is why it seems weird to see the StreamingAssets used. I've used StreamingAssets for config files(they remain text and are part of the build), but never for libraries.

Sure, let me know when, either by DM or a reply here.

Could be that Unity links to some stuff by default. But that one is only for the wrapper. You still have to add any dependencies the C++ lib itself is using. Otherwise the host machine that downloads the package might not have the dlls needed. I saw in csound that it uses libsndfile and boost and several others. You probably need to add all those to the build as well, or require them installed by whoever downloads the package and their paths added to PATH or sth so they are accessible while just csound.dll is part of the package. I see python and java requirements as well but not sure what they are. I hope they are not all used, otherwise you might have a problem. Are you in contact with the dev for such questions?(My cmake knowledge is limited, nor do I know how exactly that csound64.dll was built).

Btw you should take a look at the built exe's output log. Not sure but I think it would mention the dll it's missing. If you're adventurous I think you can figure out the name of the library missing if you get a crash dump from unity's application and go through it in WinDbg(see here). You probably have to build as development build and make sure the debug symbols are copied over.

g__b likes this.
  27. metaphysician

metaphysician

this sounds very interesting @g__b. i'm interested to see whether the integration is still working in Unity 2019.3 or even in 2020 beta. not being updated in 3 years does not give me a lot of confidence. i did work on it back in 2017 but not since.

28. g__b

g__b

We are working on it and we are very close to an alpha release.
    You can try the dev2 branch of CsoundUnity and tell us what you think! And also contributions are welcome!
    We still have some problems building for macOS since the .framework isn't copied in the build, so we have to copy it manually or with a post build script.
    But apart from this there are lots of improvements!

29. runette_unity

runette_unity

This track seems to have gone cold - but I have something to add - and a bit of a solution even if not brilliant.

I know the reason for the behaviour you described between the Editor (DLLNotFoundException) and the Player (works).

It comes down to the DLL SearchPaths as explained here https://www.mono-project.com/docs/advanced/pinvoke/

Basically :

- Unity finds the named unmanaged dll for you. Then it hangs up its coat and says "job done"
    - Finding the dependencies for that dll is the of mono - as per the search strategy in the link
    - This works in the build - because unity puts all of the plugins in one directory and the first search clause works
    - this does not work for the editor since each package is in its own directory in the package cache

The only solution I have found to get the plugin package to work in the editor is to copy the dependency dll's to a directory outside of Unity on the development machine and hard coding the system Path to point to that directory.

What I actually do is make a clone of the Git repo holding the dependencies and include the Plugins directory of that clone in my path. It works and at least it is included on the change control.

On Mac and Linux - it gets even more difficult as you have commented - since the "get out" on windows that allows the player to work (i.e. looking first in the host directory) does not exist on those platforms. As you mentioned - you have to get into copying the Framework or so files into standard directories.

boscohyun and g__b like this.
  30. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Thanks for this :) I've let the team know and still waiting for feedback so I'll let you know once I get one.

31. npatch

npatch

Not really sure about this, but I see that Library has a ScriptAssemblies folder which contains the Packages asmdefs compiled plus the UnityEditor/Engine and any Assets contained code, all in dlls. Couldn't this folder have a gather pass before compiling the packages and the assets code, for just the Plugins, and then continue?
    Is there some dll conflict case which prevents this? I just noticed that no Plugins have been copied in here. Is that due to the special folder Plugins and how you deal with it?

32. g__b

g__b

Thanks for the useful suggestions.
    I'm again on this after some months, when building for Android the libraries ARE copied in the apk and of course also if I export an Android Project. Didn't check macOS yet, but will do soon.
    Now the app crashes on startup, but the library initialisation looks ok. This is the folder structure:

PackageName folder
    - Editor folder
    - - Assembly definition for editor
    - - code for editor
    - Runtime folder
    - - Assembly definition for runtime
    - - code for runtime
    - - Android folder
    - - - library.so
    - - Win64 folder
    - - - library.dll
    - - macOS
    - - - library.framework ? (need to check, probably needs to be a .bundle)

EDIT: even if the libraries are copied in the build, these are the errors that make the app obviously crash:

2020-11-22 20:47:59.410 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject D/Unity: Unable to lookup library path for 'libcsoundandroid', native render plugin support disabled.
    2020-11-22 20:47:59.410 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject E/Unity: Unable to find libcsoundandroid
    2020-11-22 20:47:59.431 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject D/Unity: Unable to lookup library path for 'libsndfile', native render plugin support disabled.
    2020-11-22 20:47:59.432 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject E/Unity: Unable to find libsndfile
    2020-11-22 20:47:59.436 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject D/Unity: Unable to lookup library path for 'libc++_shared', native render plugin support disabled.
    2020-11-22 20:47:59.436 28326-28360/com.DefaultCompany.CsoundUnity_DevelopmentProject E/Unity: Unable to find libc++_shared

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  33. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Howdy folks,

We have a lot of elements at play here with regards to how these issues can be addressed. Upon speaking to the team, they would really welcome individual bug reports from you all with these issues so they can triage them to the correct places and get to work on a plan to resolve these.

g__b likes this.
  34. olejuer

olejuer

[EDIT: nevermind, I restart of Unity resolved the issue]

Hi,
    I just encountered the problem of not being able to load from a Resource folder in an imported package. My package uses a .uss file to load an icon for custom timeline markers.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Signal:checked
    2. {
    3.     background-image: resource("signalIcon");
    4. }
    My workaround is to copy the icons from the package into a resource folder in the project, but this is of course not the intended way for a package. Unfortunately, url() as a replacement for resources() does not compile at all.

How do I load resources from a package? Has this been resolved somehow?

Cheers!

35. Laumania

Laumania

I'm listening in here too - as Im also creating a custom package people need to add to their project via .git.

It's like the Resources in the Resources folder isn't actively recognized by Unity.

I have some .asset files in my Resource folder of a custom ScriptableObject I have created.

When I attach a script to a GameObject that need a reference to one of these, nothing shows in the Editor when I click the little circle thingy.
    If the Resources folder is in the root and not in the "Packages" folder, it works fine.

Funny thing, if I manually, from the "Packages/MyPackage" folder drag one of these assets to this field on the GameObject, it works and then when I click the circle afterwards, it lists the possible options.

I'm trying to identify if I'm doing something wrong or we have a bug here?

36. Laumania

Laumania

Arrhh! Just saw the little "eye" in the "Select" window - to toggle on/off packages assets. Doh!

Seems to works :D

37. Patheagames

Patheagames

I had the same problem.
    I referenced a Managed dll "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" in my custom package.
    when i test my custom package, "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" was recognized as Native dll.

38. Patheagames

Patheagames

39. imurashka

imurashka

Hello! Could you please explain more about this toggle? I also want to embed some resources files in my package but can't find how to do this

40. Laumania

Laumania

It's this one:

upload_2021-10-14_13-48-11.png

41. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

I have similar problem. When I import local package through Package manager "Import package throug tarball" everything works. When I upload the .tgz package to our npm server and download it from there the "Plugins" subfolder in the package is empty. It cointains only some iOS native compiled code.

42. steven_unity84

steven_unity84

I'm still having this exact same problem. The moment we host through NPM Unity refuses to recognize our Resources/... assets, even though they're clearly there on disk, it won't import the assets at all shows it as an empty folder

43. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

@steven_unity84 It has been some time, but if I remember correctly, the problem was caused by me. I had some older iteration of the package cached in folder where Unity caches packages (on Windows it's AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages), because I used the package locally first. I uploaded the newer iteration but with the same version number to the NPM, but because of the same version number, the cached version was used. Took me a while to find out.

npatch likes this.