Search Unity

Plugging in a keyboard randomly freezes editor

Discussion in 'Input System' started by TietoVisa, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TietoVisa

TietoVisa

Hi,

Plugging in a keyboard while in editor sometimes causes the editor to freeze beyond recovery, forcing me to kill the process. This happens on a freshly created project when active input handling is set to preview or both. Standalone player build is not affected. I have been able to reproduce this with 2 out of 3 keyboards I've tested, but I have not yet discovered any 100% sure steps to reproduce this. The issue seems to happen more often in play mode or when the input debugger window is open. Unplugging a device isn't affected.

The affected keyboards are a Predator gaming keyboard (no model identifier) listed as "Lite-On Technology Corp USB Gaming Keyboard (HID)" in unsupported devices which causes the crash almost every time, and a Logitech K120 listed as "Logitech USB Keyboard (HID)" that only causes the crash some times. The issue can often be reproduced by repeatedly entering and exiting play mode and opening and closing preview window while unplugging and plugging the keyboard in between. A HP keyboard (no model identifier) listed as "Lite-On Technology Corp HP USB Multimedia Keyboard (HID)") has so far been unaffected.

I'm running Unity 2018.2.0b7 with the newest revision of the input system package (last commit 25ad430).

Is this a known issue? Is there some other info I should send that might help?

2. M_R

M_R

3. TietoVisa

TietoVisa

Ok, I wasn't quite sure whether to use the issue tracker for features still in experimental stage. Has the new input system even gone to QA yet?

4. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

For the new input system, preferably file issues right on the GitHub page: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/InputSystem/issues

Could you clarify this one a little? Not sure which window you mean.

Does the issue also happen if you just repeatedly unplug the keyboard and plug it back in? Or does it specifically happen in combination with the window?

Could you file a ticket on GitHub and append the Editor.log file (see here for information on where to find it) from right after the crash?

5. TietoVisa

TietoVisa

6. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Thank you @Thevisa. We'll have a look :)