Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Idea: Parkour

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by StephenGabrielHarper, May 27, 2020.

1. StephenGabrielHarper

StephenGabrielHarper

Anyone know what would work well in a parkour game that has not been done before? all the good ones have been taken

2. StephenGabrielHarper

StephenGabrielHarper

im new at this just need some inspiration

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

somebody is chasing you and you got to escape. story and setting can be inserted at any point in something like that.

4. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Depends on the game. You could have different key combinations to execute different parkour moves (think mortal combat) and try to build a high score that way. You could have multiple maps and a story to drive this along.

(Didn't realize I was on page 2 of the forums so here I am resurrecting a dead post)

5. ARLTB

ARLTB

What about a game where the main character wants to become a pro parkourer and he/she has to go through all kinds of different parkour training and obstacle courses and missions to prove yourself. And also a bunch of specific types of objectives like a specific bridge you have to jump off of without dying, and having to do 4 backflips off a roof and landing perfectly on your feet etc.

I think there are still many parkour game ideas that I've never seen in any parkour game before. And I've never seen a parkour or gymnastics game that actually gives you control over the rotation of the character while he/she's doing a flip in mid air

6. ekemini

ekemini

I think instead of inventing new mechanics or writing a deep story, you should come up with cool environments. :)

Tales Runner did it. Hover does it. Hot Lava is so popular because it does it. Instead of the game environments being traditional (rooftops, playgrounds, railings), they reimagined the world so that unexpected locations offered the same challenges. You get to run through futuristic cities, sewer systems, schools, dungeons, literal fairy tale locations like Aladdin and Alice in Wonderland... crazy stuff like that. The technical abilities mostly stay the same: jump, run, climb. You can add more if you want. Unique characters and powerups are cool too.

Also, multiplayer parkour games are lacking these days. Nearly all of the parkour MMOs have shut down their US servers: Freejack, Tales Runner, Free Running, etc. SpeedRunners is still alive, but I hear the online community is drying up. You could try to fill that void to stand out?

7. hopeful

hopeful

IDK what all has been tried. But I'd be thinking of unusual environments and obstacles, because that's what draws players to parkour games.

Secondarily, maybe think of a light crossover with some other genre.

Has anyone done parkour in Hell yet? It could be like Dante's inferno, with 9 distinct environments you have to pass through. Fiery hell, icy hell, etc., with unique environmental factors like gusts of wind, fire eruptions, slick ice patches, etc.

ekemini likes this.
  8. StephenGabrielHarper

StephenGabrielHarper

9. StephenGabrielHarper

StephenGabrielHarper

what would be a nice aspect would be to figure out how to give the feeling Dying light gave me when i first went out at night but throughout an entire game. i wonder how you would do something like that. Outlast kind of captured that feeling but with less freedom of movement

10. mgear

mgear

11. bobadi

bobadi

chased and escaping

or
    chasing to catch