Search Unity

PLM Seams in modular walls

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by MK87, Jan 6, 2020.

1. MK87

MK87

I've been playing around a lot with some modular walls and I can't get rid of seams in the baked lightmaps between the walls. I've tried different walls, simple planes etc and lightmap uv's snapped to texels but nothing seems to help. Also tried with some assets from the assets store and the results are the same. I've played with all the settings I can think of.

I've noticed that the seams are caused by the direct light and not gi and filtering makes the seams even worse, a lot worse. Only increasing lightmap resolution or scale in lightmap will help a bit. Currently resolution is set to 32 and would have to triple it to get better results, which is not really suitable resolution anymore.

Bake.jpg

I'm using HDRP and Unity 2019.2.8f1 (64-bit) but also tried Unity 2020.1.0a17 (64-bit) and it makes no difference.

With Enlighten and the seams were less visible, however not completely gone. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, this is not an easy issue to solve. Here are a few pointers:
    • Use Mesh.Combine method to combine your wall meshes in runtime - https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh.CombineMeshes.html
    • Combine your meshes in a DCC package and make sure that they share a single lightmap UV
    • Disable filtering entirely. This will require a lot of samples
    • Hide the seam with trim textures/meshes
    • You could try incorporating similar techniques which developers of Elder Scrolls Blades used in their game -

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  3. MK87

MK87

I know I can do those things but they are not really the fix I was hoping for. There has to be a better way.

4. mouhcine_unity

mouhcine_unity

5. jjejj87

jjejj87

Is there no other way to resolve this other than merging meshes?

This is really crappy TBH