Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Please update FrameTimingManager documentation

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Peter77, May 30, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Found this on the 2019.3.0a4 release notes:
    I ran several times in issues that FrameTimingManager does not seem to be implemented for some platforms (afair, I tested Nintendo Switch and Android where it didn't work).

Could you please update the documentation with the supported platforms, where FrameTimingManager works?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

MadeFromPolygons and Peter77 like this.
  3. WayneLJ

WayneLJ

Hi @florianpenzkofer
    I according to the official sample test, the m_gpuFrameTime value is always zero
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/DynamicResolution.html
    Please give me a hand,Where did I go wrong?
    Unity Version 2019.1.10f1
    ProjectSetting>Player>Check Enable Frame Timing Stats
    Camera>Check Allow Dynamic Resolution
    build standalone version, PC Direct12

4. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

@liujieinthegame I just found out that FrameTimingManager is currently not supported when using D3D12 on Desktop, only on Xbox One.
    There are plans to add support for Standalone, but I don't have a date, sorry.

jashan and Peter77 like this.
  5. jashan

jashan

Oh wait, so that means that the documentation is incorrect:

?

Or, more precisely: Is FrameTimingManager not supported on Windows Standalone at all, or is it supported with DirectX 11 but not with DirectX 12?

I'm not getting the expected values, on Unity 2019.1 - but that's also in a VR project. We first try using the FrameTimingManager but if that doesn't work, we fall back to using XRStats. Unfortunately, XRStats only delivers GPU frame times, not the CPU frame times ... and we actually need both.

6. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

What I wrote earlier ("It's supported on platforms/graphics APIs that support https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/DynamicResolution.html") is incorrect and our documentation should explicitly list supported platforms for FrameTimingManager.

On Windows Standalone FrameTimingManager is currently not supported with any Graphics API. FrameTimingManager with D3D12 is coming at some point. It's also not supported when using Vulkan with Windows Standalone, even though we support it on Android.

Dynamic Resolution is supported with D3D12 on Windows.

jashan likes this.
  7. jashan

jashan

Ok, got it, thanks! Does Dynamic Resolution also work with VR, legacy pipelines and PostProcessing v2?

I have to test if D3D12 even works for us - last time I checked (probably 2017.4), it didn't work with SteamVR but now we're at 2019.1, so maybe this finally does work and would probably improve performance especially when using Graphics Jobs.

8. jashan

jashan

Nope. SteamVR and D3D12 still don't play well together, even with Unity 2019.1, SteamVR Unity Plugin 2.3.2 and OpenVR 1.0.5. When using D3D12, the HMD simply doesn't "connect".

9. IN_Yves

IN_Yves

@florianpenzkofer I'm using 2019.2.19f1 for a standalone and still receiving 0's from FrameTimingManager. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or If is the expected result. Do you mind to update FrameTimingManager supported list here (or elsewhere)?

EDIT: Tested in 2020.1.0b10 and still receiving 0's from FrameTimingManager.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  10. airship-andres

airship-andres

I'm also seeing 0s from the FrameTimingManager in Editor, and D3D12 doesn't work on our project at all (the entire Editor renders black and it's not possible to make a build), so it's currently not possible for us to test dynamic resolution on Windows at all, OR our frame timing algorithm, unless we're on a console or supported device.

We're on 2019.3.5f1, which is not latest, sure, but this feature has been our for years now, since 2017.