Search Unity

Bug Please tell me this isnt true.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by SomeVVhIteGuy, Sep 2, 2021.

1. SomeVVhIteGuy

SomeVVhIteGuy

When I installed unity hub about 4 months ago, I made a folder called projects within the hub UnityHub folder, and moved my projects into that folder.

This is a noob trap I guess, because updating unity hub just overwrites the folder. And I guess this has been a known issue for 3 years now as I frantically google where my folders have gone.

I'm just a hobbiest trying to ship a small game. I celebrated getting to a playable state last week. And then before starting to work on my project today I figured "I might as well update unity and Hub while I drink my coffee".

Every file has been reverted to when I moved it to this projects folder. It wasnt deleted, its just the barely-started project from 4 months ago.

is there ANY WAY I can undo this without a file backup. What does hub do with the old files? Please, Im on the verge of tears and a breakdown.

2. No. That's why you always should make backups and use version control system when you're working. Also your disks/SSDs can give in any time. If you want your work to be somewhat safe you need to store them at two different locations.
    Deletes them for good. As usually any software does. You should not store data in application folders ever. And not just in the Hub's, ANY application.
    This is not an issue. Storing precious data in a software folder is. Especially without proper backup and version control. If you had either of them, now you just would need to restore the last one.

Please take the opportunity and learn from this experience and maintain proper backup procedures and use version control system working on any future projects.

3. Mauri

Mauri

Yep, you're f**ked.

I think by default, projects are usually created under
    C:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\Documents\Unity Projects
    . Either leave them there or choose another folder, but never use the UnityHub or Editor folders for project storage. Or, sad stuff like this will happen...

That said: Backups are essential! A simple ZIP will work fine, but using version control is always better.