Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Please tell me there is an easy/automatic way to revert my WHOLE project back to SRP from URP?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MoyaGamesDev, Apr 21, 2020.

1. MoyaGamesDev

MoyaGamesDev

I was told URP is rather nice so I upgraded my project to it but it broke way too much and made thins incredibly difficult so I uninstalled the package and now everything is pink.

Is there any possibly way to easily/automatically change my entire project to the built in standard pipeling without losing any of my work or manually going through the thousands of materials I have and guessing the right shader for them?

Thank you! All the best :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    thegamer333 likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Do you mean the legacy renderer instead of SRP? Because the URP is the SRP, which makes your question not make sense.

If so, I'm sure Unity has not included a utility for converting from an SRP (URP or HD) back to legacy. The approach most people would take is to just revert the project using their version control system. (Hopefully you're using version control? If not, this kind of thing is why you should.)

soleron and bobisgod234 like this.
  3. MoyaGamesDev

MoyaGamesDev

Oh derp. Yeah I mean to downgrade back to what ever unity is when you make a standard 3D project or "3D with extras" because URP has broken so much. Unity is so confusing now too there's like 5 different names for every separate section of the engine when it really could just be 1 and have much more stability -.-

I am using a version control but it just recently completely destroyed my whole project and i'm trying to salvage it but also i added URP so far before I did a huge work load that I'll lose everything If i revert back that way so I've been trying to find a simple solution like the have when upgrading to URP. I don't know why they wouldn't have one when that's how you upgrade to URP in the first place but oof... I love unity but they need to get their S*** together :/

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Oh that sucks. You can't just check out the revision from your version control immediately prior to this mess?

I don't think they will ever create a reverse conversion tool because they will want to eventually get everyone off the built in render pipeline, because the faster that move occurs, the sooner they can deprecate and eventually remove it. Which should save them a lot of hassle supporting both as they are currently doing.

5. soleron

soleron

From the tone of this discussion, it sounds like you are not very familiar with Unity and new to all this. If so, there is a chance that you are breaking URP, more than it breaks itself. It has happened to all of us. :)

In most cases URP is indeed very stable and good looking, not to mention a lot faster.
    But it depends a lot on your project and how you set it up.

To the point of your request though.
    No, there is no automated script to do so, but if you already had set up all your materials previously, all you need to do is remove the SRP asset from the relevant slot and then select All your materials at once, (use the search function with a Material filter) and switch them all to Standard using the shader selection dropdown list. That will reduce at least some of your work.

I have changed very complex scenes from Standard to back and forth to URP HDRP and Standard within a few hours. It normally doesn't take much time.

Moonjump likes this.
  6. MoyaGamesDev

MoyaGamesDev

I'm experienced with older unity but not recent, I have a huge time gap of not using it but I know for a fact it isn't me who is breaking URP since the dev of the asset I'm using said it themselves that URP in the latest version is very unstable and buggy with their product. It has also given me issues with the smallest things that otherwise work fine.

Oh that's extremely unfortunate. It doesn't matter if one person thinks that a few hours isn't a lot of time. That's a few hours that could be spent elsewhere and are wasted due to lack of functionality. I have thousands of assets that need to be converted back which will take tons of time not to mention not every shader uses "standard" so then i have to go back and change all those etc. I wasn't even warned before hand that it it's difficult to convert back or anything...

I appreciate the information and your time though ^^ I'm just super disappointed with all this. I know it could be so much better

7. MoyaGamesDev

MoyaGamesDev

Even fresh projects will not allow me to paint detailed meshes with the terrain grass painter. Regardless of Builtin RP or URP.

8. soleron

soleron

Indeed. As time is relevant, what matters is whether a few hours is objectively a lot of time.

In the life of a butterfly that lives one day, sure, it is a lot of time.
    In a project that takes almost a year to finish, no. It is actually something next to the blink of an eye.

Now someone may come up with an argument that "my project needs to be delivered in 3 days, so it is a lot of time", sure, but again, chances are a tiny project like that only has a two handfuls of materials, and barely any advanced settings to go wrong. If at all. So it is going to take seconds to change. Therefore again, it is very little time.

IF someone in such a short project decided to use a technique they are not very familiar with, it is not the engine to blame, nor the feature.

9. MoyaGamesDev

MoyaGamesDev

You're not wrong haha and this project will take much longer than a year but even if it's not too long to revert them all it'd still be nice to do it in bulk or change the whole project in one go regardless and that hour still could be spent elsewhere XD i decided to just remake my terrain though and what not it wasn't that big of a deal but still was unfortunate. I don't blame the engine but i just wish it was easier to change back :D It was easy changing it to URP so i found it odd it wasn't similar to go back. Eh lesson learned! XD

All the best!

10. justaddice83

justaddice83

11. GoblinGameWorks

GoblinGameWorks

Armegalo likes this.
  12. farrellart

farrellart

....and...Always back up. Especially before a complete overhaul of the render pipeline. If you are serious about what you are doing you should back up after every session. Unity has a way of breaking things.

13. Zhen_Wei_Lee

Zhen_Wei_Lee

Unity Technologies

XJonOneX likes this.
  14. Riftverse

Riftverse

15. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Despite the necro factor, this looks like a great place to post this reminder:

Please consider using proper industrial-grade enterprise-qualified source control in order to guard and protect your hard-earned work.

Personally I use git (completely outside of Unity) because it is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up as well as free places to host your repo (BitBucket, Github, Gitlab, etc.).

You can also push git repositories to other drives: thumb drives, USB drives, network drives, etc., effectively putting a complete copy of the repository there.

As far as configuring Unity to play nice with git, keep this in mind:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefab-links-keep-getting-dumped-on-git-pull.646600/#post-7142306

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

Setting up an appropriate .gitignore file for Unity3D:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/removing-il2cpp_cache-from-project.1084607/#post-6997067

Generally setting Unity up (includes above .gitignore concepts):

https://thoughtbot.com/blog/how-to-git-with-unity

It is only simple economics that you must expend as much effort into backing it up as you feel the work is worth in the first place. Digital storage is so unbelievably cheap today that you can buy gigabytes of flash drive storage for about the price of a cup of coffee. It's simply ridiculous not to back up.

"Use source control or you will be really sad sooner or later." - StarManta on the Unity3D forum boards

XJonOneX, wmadwand and URPian like this.