Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Please take our survey on multiplayer game services!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Dan_bot, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Dan_bot

Dan_bot

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

I'm on the market research team at Unity, and I'm currently working with the teams responsible for some of our Operate services to learn more about how our customers feel about multiplayer game services. If you’re involved in making decisions about your multiplayer game’s infrastructure, including chat, hosting, and similar features, we would really appreciate it if you would complete the survey linked below!

The survey is about 20 minutes long, and everyone who takes it will be entered into a sweepstakes for one of three $500 Amazon.com gift cards. (We wanted to offer PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles as prizes, but, yeah … we can’t get them either.) Your feedback will help shape Unity products like Vivox and Multiplay.

Click here to start the survey.

Thanks for participating!

No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase of any kind will not increase your chances of winning. Void where prohibited. For more information, check out the sweepstakes terms and conditions.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately you don’t qualify for this survey.

Great, you could have told me that right at the beginning by asking me how many employees my company had at the beginning, instead of right at the end??

Joe-Censored and Dan_bot like this.
  3. Dan_bot

Dan_bot

Unity Technologies

Hi Meltdown, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback and I apologize if you had a negative experience with the survey. To be clear, there are no requirements on company size - our goal is to get feedback from developers of all sizes.

The audience we want for the survey will know about their game's use of multiplayer services, and be involved in evaluating offerings. More specifically, they need to meet these criteria:
    • working on a game that has features that could be provided through Unity services (e.g., in-game chat, real-time multiplayer)
    • have input on build vs. buy decisions for those services
    • know how these services are provided/planned to be provided,
    • know how many users you have (or being able to estimate for games that are in development) and so on.
    The survey is circulating in other venues as well, so we also have some basic criteria like needing to say you work in the game industry, and that you work in a role that would be likely to be involved in decisions about multiplayer services (we defined those roles broadly, but for example, marketing roles would not qualify).

The company profiling questions are asked to everyone regardless of qualification, but based on where they fall in the survey, I can see how you would get the impression that was a criteria for qualification. I'm going to take a look at the survey flow and see if there's a better way to set it up.

Having said that, I see you're actively working on a multiplayer game, so I would have expected you to qualify for the survey. I'd like to take a look at your survey data, do you know approximately when you took it?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  4. Meltdown

Meltdown

I took the survey yesterday, and posted here right after.

Yes I am building a multiplayer game, and I did contact Unity's Multiplay through their contact form over 11 days ago, and didn't get a response. I even asked one of my account managers to put me in touch with someone there, that was over a week ago.

I would say my game is a high effort game, and does have great potential for a good user base, so no idea why I still have been 'ignored'

Unfortunately, due to the lack of response from anyone at Multiplay, and the complete lack of commitment to a multiplayer framework by Unity over the past few years, I don't think anyone is hedging bets on Unity having any involvement in this part of their game's architecture.

And because of this, I have found an alternative framework, and a great multiplayer game hosting solution with Agones running on Google's Cloud Platform.

EDIT : And the questions around DAU/MAU in the survey I left blank, because v2 of my game is still in development. It's silly to ask people for DAU/MAU for a game in which they will be implementing multiplayer, which in 99% of cases, would mean the game is still in development.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Dan_bot

Dan_bot

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks for your reply; I sent you a PM, please take a look.