Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PLEASE STOP including all these useless extra packages!!!

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Kurt-Dekker, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

PLEASE STOP including all these useless extra packages!!!

I understand Unity is trying to increase uptake of packages that provide value.

However, PLEASE STOP AUTO-INCLUDING THEM!!! This is causing FAR more headaches than it is solving.

Here's the two use cases:

1. brand-new user, your packages barfing all over everything keeps him from running, and then he has to come to the forums for help, he has no idea what a package is, he just sees FAIL.

2. veteran users like myself: it takes them 2 seconds to add the packages they want. DONE! And they still don't want all the crap you throw in by default.

If the packages worked flawlessly and silently in the background it might be acceptable. Piggish but acceptable.

But the rate of failure is very high. In fact the package rate of failure for me is 100% when I try any of Unity's recent "RPG kit" and "LEGO kit" or "3D project" or even "2D project" and all that intro learning.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT FAIL!

Basically 100% of those projects FAIL to load because of unnecessary unneeded useless package crap inclusion, and this is would-be Unity customers first impression with Unity3D.

Not only that but using the package manager to remove them takes ten minutes and is EXTREMELY tedious, since each one has to be removed one at a time, then Unity has to recompile, then the package manager has to refresh... it's like 45 seconds per package to remove.

I always just have to close Unity, fire up vi and remove all the unwanted crap from the Packages/manifest.json file, then reopen Unity... but I have been using Unity more than a few days now so I can do this.

You can't expect ab initio users to do that!!

This practice of installing so many packages "just because" is seriously sinking the Unity battleship as far as the new user experience. Please just stop it already.

reinfeldx, Isei, jasonasaad2 and 2 others like this.
  2. lordofduct

lordofduct

UPVOTE!

jasonasaad2 and Polyfemos like this.