Search Unity

Please Recommend Sound Effects Tutorials/Resources

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adeno, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Adeno

Adeno

Hi there! I'm having some trouble finding resources that teach how to create sound effects for games. Most of my searches end up showing me the usual information like recording the sound of a rolled up newspaper hitting something to get a "punch" sound effect. What I need is information on, for example, turning the sound of a spoon falling to the ground into something that sounds like a spaceships laser beam attack or even a sound that could be used whenever you click on something in the main menu of a game. It's like turning a simple sound into something else entirely using some kind of software.

I'm just not sure what's the proper term for the kind of information I'm looking for, so can someone please point me in the right direction? It would also be great to get recommendations on software that can do this kind of "change simple sound into something else" action.

As for sound effects generators, the only one I found is this: http://www.bfxr.net/

Although that's a pretty handy tool, the sound it creates (sounds like from the 8-bit/16-bit games era) just doesn't fit the sound I want for my projects, which I want to have more modern sound effects like those that can be heard from the PS2 and our current gaming generation.

Thanks in advance for any information :)

2. saymoo

saymoo

Sound effects design proces is quite difficult, since it has a lot of soundprocessing involved.
    Traditionally it was the ' foley artist" (official name) doing the effects, by recording traditional objects. As you have mentioned with the rolled up newspaper example.
    Lateron it became more digitized, using digital soundsources (optionally combined with traditional recordings) being distorted digitally.
    The person's job title responsible for this work is in most cases called a Sound designer or Sound Editor. But the term sound engineer is also used (although traditionally an engineer is more doing mixing type of work, the recoding process of the total elements (voice, sound, music) so to speak)

Tools used to craft sounds, or manipulate sounds in various ways, can vary a fair bit between studios/persions.
    From Protools, to simpler tools like wavelab and even audacity can do wonders in the right hands. Just to name just 3 tools out of hundreds available.

i think if you seek for audio editing, audio processing, audio effects etc, you will find several tools that do what you want. There is unfortunately no " best" tool, since every tool has it's pro's and con's. Professionals always have a palet of tools they use interexchangable, the right tool for the right thing so to speak. E.g. if A does a echo better than B, but B is better in pitch, then he/she will use both together to get the end result he/she wants, etc etc.

Note: even with the tools, it's a daunting task to create the sound you want, exactly as you want. Since it often involve multiple stages of processing to get the right result. Even a supposedly simple "whooesss" sound, needs to be on the spot in terms of emotional feel, length, pitch, etc etc for ti to work as intended.

Good luck with the endavor.:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. Adeno

Adeno

Thanks, I'll go research on the 3 programs you mentioned and possibly anything similar to them. Now I have a better idea :)

4. darkhog

darkhog

http://findsounds.com

It's like google, but for sound fx. You enter what kind of sound you like (ex: gunshot) and it searches. Then you just need to select which one best fits your game.