Search Unity

Please Read! iOS 6 Deployment issues small work around!!!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Aurore, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hi,

I can see there have been a number of issues when deploying to iOS 6, I can tell you that we are working on the issue and they should be resolved in 3.5.6 which is almost upon us! So bear with us while we deploy the support, I know you are eager to develop :)

Aurore

Update: For splash screen issues there is a work around. Turn "Compress PNG files" option to "NO" in Xcode project

2. Jexreffy

Jexreffy

Can you give us any window as to when 3.5.6 will be out?

3. fred_gds

fred_gds

If I use the work around I keep getting this message "Application windows are expected to have a root view controller at the end of application launch
    -> force accelerometer registration". And my application stays in portrait view doesn't autorotate. But I'm not sure if this has any connection to the work around.

4. Slater

Slater

I have a problem since updating to OS6 and latest Xcode. My app is for some reason running in portrait instead of landscape mode. It is set to run in landscape mode and have worked perfectly until updating. Any suggestions, or will this sort it self in the update?

5. Jexreffy

Jexreffy

What is your default orientation set to?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  6. Slater

Slater

I have it set to Auto Rotation in Unity and allowed it for landscape right and left.

7. Ferazel

Ferazel

yeah I was also having problems with my upgrade if I keep autorotation turned on. In the meantime (until they release this 3.5.6) you can disable the autorotation and just set it to be landscape left/right and then do testing. There is still a splashscreen glitch as it starts up. I hope we get the full release soon? (Come on tomorrow!)

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

yeah, im getting the autorotation bug, changing the orientation manually from script seems to correct the problem but the glitch on the splash screen looks creepy, i hope they do fix it soon

9. blaze

blaze

Turn "Compress PNG files" option to "NO" in Xcode project don't fixed the splash screen issue for me. There is something more that I can do?

10. Aurore

Aurore

That's the only work around I have at the moment. Unfortunately when Apple upgrade iOS and Xcode it often creates conflicts with backwards compatibility. There is no set date on 3.5.6 release but it will be here soon.

11. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, I'm having the same stuck wrong orientation...how do you fix that with code exactly (temporary fix)?

12. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Even if you get it working it is still crashing on iphone5.
    Basically the appcontroller.mm needs some major modification to fully accommodate the new handling of autoraotion for iOS6 and iPhone 5.

Unity has really dropped the ball on this one. More than let down that I'm getting emails for asset store sales while the team can't pull together a 3.5.6 update to fix the app controller.mm

13. Threepwood

Threepwood

Getting the same thing after updating to iOS6, XCode 4.5 and on Unity 3.5.5. f3

Under Edit/Proj Settings/Player - turn off auto-rotation and just force Landscape left or right and it will work for testing.

I hope they are treating it as #1 priority. I know releases are chaotic, but I hope they are scrambling.

Also seeing MASSIVE perf issues. Earlier tonight, before upgrading, I was running pegged 60fps with occasional drops to 55. Now I'm into the low 40's easily. What the hell?

14. Dambusters

Dambusters

I absolutely agree! My game has a custom water shader which is broken by iOS6, I can't release an iOS6 version because I'm waiting for Unity to fix the auto-rotate problem. Meanwhile I'm getting emails from irate customers and will no-doubt get bad reviews which will hang around forever and kill sales.

Note to Unity - iOS6 has already been downloaded by millions of customers - WE NEED THIS FIXED NOW!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  15. Dambusters

Dambusters

@Aurore I've pre-paid for Unity4 so have access to the pre-release beta 7. You mention at the start of this thread that 3.5.6 is imminent - will these fixes also be released for Unity4 at the same time? Do I convert my project to UNITY 4 now which does support iOS6 or will I find that the Auto-rotate problem gets fixed in 3.5.6 first?
    I ask because it's a long and quite painful (irreversible) process to move to Unity 4 as the depreciated code need altering too - so I don't want to waste my time working in Unity 4 then find that I need to go back and do it all again for 3.5.6 because I'm waiting for Unity 4 to get fixed!

16. blaze

blaze

The Beta iOS and Xcode dont was enough to Unity get prepared to this S***?

17. jerotas

jerotas

We were supposed to submit our game to Apple yesterday, but then we ran into this problem with the rotation stuck. Ugh. I can only imagine what you guys who are already released are going through. This is terrible! I hope it's fixed ASAP, but then I understand none of us want a buggy fix. It must be thoroughly tested. We support you Unity guys! Crank it out please.

18. Jexreffy

Jexreffy

@jerotas This is my first game so it's no big deal if we get delayed. What's ironic is that I was only going to support iOS to start, and now because of this, I went and bought a Kindle Fire HD since iPhone 5 is sold out and with Prime 31's plugins, I already have a working build for Kindle Fire.

19. jerotas

jerotas

This is also our first game Jexreffy! Which plugin(s) did you use for Android from Prime31? We have 3 of their plugins for iOS.

20. Jexreffy

Jexreffy

For iOS: StoreKit, iCloud, GameCenter, SocialNetworking, iCade
    For Android: Amazon IAP, Amazon GameCircle

21. Mars91

Mars91

Any news about 3.5.6?

22. Aurore

Aurore

I look into this for you, for now I would stick to 3.5.5 if that's what you are working in.

23. Aurore

Aurore

Some features of 3.5.6 for iOS 6 and iPhone 5.

• Basic license splashscreen fix for Xcode 4.5
    • Full res rendering support for iPhone 5
    • Autorotation fixes for iOS 6.0
    • Unity Remote fixes for iPhone 5
    • Added 9:16 / 16:9 aspect ratio (iPhone 5) support to GameView

24. blaze

blaze

There is some prediction for the launch of 3.5.6?

25. Mars91

Mars91

So cool!
    Can we expect it to be released this or the next week?

26. Aurore

Aurore

No news of an actual release date .

27. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

pretty sad we don't have this yet.

For iOS developers this release is a HUGE deal.
    Getting products to Apple for release dates is extremely important.

Hopefully we can get this soon

thanks

28. efge

efge

Please give us that fix!

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah i'm in the same boat. Can't do anything until this Splash screen bug is fixed... clients = :-(

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

30. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

This is holding back 3 projects :( I know that UT is working on this already but... maybe doubling the work shift? Really guys... even a temp-fix would be a life saver here!

31. n8

n8

Not trying to start a war here, but come on guys give Unity a break. Most of here are software guys so we all know how the process works. If they rush out the update too soon, then it is likely to break more than it fixes and then we aren't in any better shape than before. The Unity team doesn't have any more insight into what Apple is doing anymore than anyone else, so it is impossible for them to have a one day turn around for these types of bugs. I know a lot of sales are riding on getting these things to work, but that is sort of the problem we have to live with when using a 3rd party layer on top of the iOS framework. Please give these guys a chance to help us out instead of ragging on them for something they have no control over, because it really doesn't help anybody out.

32. blaze

blaze

We know this. But, the Beta of the iOS dont serves to fix the bugs? Before it get released?

33. J_P_

J_P_

Apple does iOS betas specifically for developers so they can be ready day 1.

Anyway, shoutout to a fellow Dallas Unity dev!

34. n8

n8

This is true. The flip side is that Unity is a massive project with lots of moving parts. Just b/c they have a fix for this specific bug, doesn't mean that they didn't break a ton of other stuff along the way. They have a stringent QA process that helps to keep the devs from "thrashing" trying to fix bugs that they introduced while fixing bugs. Don't get me wrong, I want this update as much as anybody else, but I would rather them not break anything else along the way. It sucks when you pour your heart into something and work 14+ hr days only to have ppl criticize you for one bug. In the end all I am trying to say, is that yelling at them and getting all upset isn't going to help. I assure you all they are very aware of the problem that it is causing us all and are hard at work on the fix, just as all of us would be if we were in their situation.

NICE! not many of us out here that I have run into. Are you a solo or working for someone here in the area?

35. J_P_

J_P_

Voicing opinion is how we're going to provoke changes :)

As long as it's polite, I think it's constructive.

Solo. You should come to the IGDA meetups :)

36. n8

n8

I agree, just some of the posts here have not been so polite or constructive. Just trying to help set some perspective that is all.

Same here. Is there a link to see when where this meetup is? I have been looking for dallas area meetups to no avail.

37. Threepwood

Threepwood

There's really no excuse for Unity not to be ready for a major iOS launch. Not if they want to be the #1 player in the mobile engine space. Unity isn't some garage effort.

Apple's beta program is specifically so devs can work out the kinks. Unity has a lot of responsibility in that area now if they want to be taken seriously and their engine used in a professional manor.

This is the kind of thing that should not be happening as large as Unity is now. They simply don't seem to prioritize being ready and bug free for launch. That's an issue in terms of credibility going forward.

Sure, they will fix it, but there are lost opportunities for Unity devs now. What if you were launching a major Unity game now, and Apple was interested in featuring if for launch? Oops. What if you were a recently released Unity game, that looked great and Apple wanted to feature it for iPhone 5? Oops. Those are very realistic opportunities and very real dollars lost from lack of promotion.

38. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I do agree with Threepwood on this, 100%! Actually I was really sure that Unity would be ready a week before the iOS 6 deployment and I transfered my trust onto 2 of my customers to see to release their title upon iOS 6 release and 100% compatible. After all I've spent more than $10k on Unity until now, so I was expecting them to be ready for such an event as iPhone 5 launch... disappointed... A LOT!

39. bpritchard

bpritchard

I can't 100% agree.. simply because Apple doesn't always give updates throughout the course of dev and that can make it hard.

For instance: We just shipped a non-unity project for a customer that wanted an older xcode based ios project updated to ios6 PRIOR To launch.. so we started w/the beta and apple changed how the viewport rotation stuff worked. No problem. So we got it almost done then the GM came out and low and behold they changed it AGAIN! While it wasn't a complete rewrite it was different enough that it created new effort on something that was already done.

so sadly, and as much as i hate to say it, i get why they wait until the product is fully released. :(

40. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I've been in sw dev. for more than 30 years, so I know quite well how it works in a company having hundreds of employees: you are referring to a small business, that's not really Unity Technologies. iOS 6 has been released already, and the last beta was totally a release candidate. This is not a simple upgrade like was iOS 5, this is a huge launch coming with a brand new device. It's an event planned in advance and developers were all carefully kept up to date. Unity has a big amount of resources so as a paying customer I do expect not to miss events of this magnitude when putting my money in this engine.

41. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

I totally understand where you are coming from however, we arent cheering on the little guy or the underdog here. Unity is a premium product with a premium price.
    It's reasonable to expect premium service.
    Service is not their strongest asset.
    I have personally seen my license transfers take a day one time then nearly two weeks another time.
    Any other product with 5k or more price tag usually has that automated.
    Look at Waves or Adobe. You can migrate your license yourself via cloud.
    I think unity is gonna need to step it up on service... thats all Im saying.

Great product, just some major room for improvement in an area that gets overlooked by a lot of great companies.

42. RSH1

RSH1

I am getting the error "Could not change executable permissions on the application" when trying to run

EDIT: Fixed by deleting app on the device

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  43. RSH1

RSH1

I am now getting

When trying to submit

44. n8

n8

Ok I can't figure this out. I just keep getting this error:

Application windows are expected to have a root view controller at the end of application launch

any ideas on how to fix?

45. 39thstreet

39thstreet

We're prepping for a release on iOS right now. We do not currently have any issues with our splash screen I can see, but this thread has me worried.

Can someone clarify what the splash screen and rotation issues are? Just so I know what to look for?

46. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Splash screen isn't a major issue, just have not to compress PNGs (XCode project settings), but the rotation is a deal breaker because the app is just stuck in portrait mode.

I just got an odd answer from Unity Support: "I can't reproduce the issue with 3.5.6, it must have been fixed. Please notify me when you update if the problem is present." so I guess the support guys think that the 3.5.6 is released already :) Good sign... it means we'll have that any time now... well... I hope so!

47. 39thstreet

39thstreet

Thanks for the reply. My app isn't stuck in portrait mode, maybe that's why I'm so confused. Maybe because I'm building Universal?

Good news about that reply, maybe 3.5.6 will release today. Here's hoping.

48. blaze

blaze

HOHOHO! Finally!
    Sorry, but I think that I'm a bad guy!
    http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity/UnitySetup-3.5.6.exe

Just put to download, pause the download, copy the URL and change the number to 3.5.6!

It's released, but the site is not updated.
    I will download and try!

Edited:
    The dmg is not ready. Only for windows right now. It seems that is not ready yet. :p

49. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

@39thstreet: if you're not stuck in portrait I guess you aren't using the autorotation. All my projects are based on that so... I'm stuck :/

@blaze: nice hack :) well... the problem is that we really need the Mac version here... but I guess it's matter of hours at this point :)

50. damelin

damelin