Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Please provide direct links to install packages

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Shorely, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Shorely

Shorely

The new Unity 2018.3.1 release does not provide a Mac Editor Download.

Nor any of the other goodies that used to be available as individual downloads.

Please revert to providing these.

The Unity Download Assistant is is nice... BUT, it's a LIE. It is not a download assistant. I have NO IDEA where the installation packages are downloaded to on my computer, nor do I know if they're deleted after using the Unity Download Assistant to INSTALL Unity.

I'd like to download on one machine and install on it, and then use that same download on another machine. Not download it again. Not not have a fixed copy to install if I need to clean my system, etc.

Please stop trying to control users, simply provide for them. Thank you.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I found the download archive by simply Googling "Download Unity" and clicking on the second result.

I would think someone who was concerned with downloading things multiple times would appreciate the fact that a code editor isn't bundled in on Mac. You're free to use whatever editor you like, including Visual Studio Community or VS Code. Why does it need to be bundled in for you?

I don't understand why your tone sounds so irritated with Unity when you're only at the download and install stage. If you're this upset with Unity already, you're not gonna like the TOS or learning the API. Try taking a moment to appreciate that Unity is a massive company that serves millions of customers, and not everything is going to be tailored exactly to your specific needs.

Learn to adapt, as it's a skill absolutely essential to being a game developer.

3. Shorely

Shorely

This is exactly the site page I'm talking about.

Drop down the list of Mac downloads of 2018.3.1

Hover over Unity Editor. Read what's in your status bar.

I would think someone who was concerned with replying to something specific would have tried this.

I would like to think you'd have seen that I mention how it used to be. In other words, I've been through this cycle many times. At least a dozen times for each of the 2018 versions.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

I'm on my PC right now, so I didn't try downloading the editor for Mac. I use Unity Hub to manage my installs, as I'm fortunate enough to have a great Internet connection. So I'm not all that familiar with downloading offline installers. The page that I linked you to, though, also has an option to download via torrent in that very same dropdown, which I would think should work for you.

Anyway, sorry I ruined your day by trying to help point you in the right direction. Good luck to you!

5. Shorely

Shorely

Your efforts are appreciated to the extent they're appropriate.

Anyone else know where the editor install package is saved by the "Download Assistant" on a Mac?

6. Shorely

Shorely

Where is my mind?

Where are my downloads?

Oh... Where is my mind?

Pixies, 1989, if you're wondering. Also in Mr Robot, as a piano rendition.