Search Unity

Feedback Please provide builtin resources for the new editor skin as downloadable source

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Xarbrough, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

As a tool's developer I like to make my editor windows and custom inspectors fit with the style of the official Unity design. One point I'm always struggling with is adapting colors and icons to look similar to Unity's.

Please let users download the icons from the builtin editor resources to look at and learn from!

I hope this idea is not fenced-off behind legal reasons. I believe there's nothing to be gained from not making these images "open source", since everyone can already extract them from Unity, but its an inconvenient hassle.

I also remember that way back Unity already published the image files for the builtin GUI skin, so I think this is the same idea here.

Additionally, I like that Unity started documenting some of the design guidelines behind the new skin. Please continue work on this and expand upon the resources currently used for each skin version. For example, color palettes or font sizes.

a436t4ataf, jonathans42 and JoNax97 like this.
  2. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

At some point internally we've discussed putting on github.com the editor_resources project sources that is used to build built-in resources. I'll re-open the discussion internally and see where we get with that this time. This project contains all the icons, style sheets, internal tools, etc.

Xarbrough likes this.
  3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

That would be amazing!

Edit: I’ve received a message from the HIG team and they said these resources and other high-level ones are in the works. Looking forward to them! :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020