Search Unity

"Please move the project folder somewhere readable and writable" no matter where i put it...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by spaunn, Dec 29, 2016.

1. spaunn

spaunn

Hopefully anyone who has this error will see this, but this became a very annoying problem for me so I thought I'd post about it here.

All you have to do is "take ownership" of Unity. In other words, run it as administrator once. Hopefully that works for anyone else having this issue.

r4k4210, KaRakLa, krisann085 and 20 others like this.
  2. vector613

vector613

Thank you my friend

3. TiagoCC

TiagoCC

Thank you.

4. ryrohr

ryrohr

This didn't work for me :(

5. kavanavak

kavanavak

THANK YOU!! I had already reformatted an external drive thinking there was some corruption issue before I found this thread.

For anyone not knowing how to run as admin, just right-click the unity launch icon and then select run as admin.

Realhavenn and LisafromNZ like this.
  6. Vertices

Vertices

WOW, I am so glad to have found this. I thought I was screwed.:)

7. goat

goat

Well when I run 'run as administrator for Unity I then get a problem 'Default Layout' is corrupted and Unity gives me the option to restore to factory settings or try the default layout again and it doesn't work but keeps repeating that dialogue.

I'm changing all the ownership permissions on my external drives but I think somehow in moving to a new install of Windows 10 and copying so old files and settings (eg. I copied over the entire asset store products folder I have bought rather than downloading it all again) over permissions have been messed up.

I have already upgraded from Unity 5.6 beta 10 to Unity 5.6 Beta 11 since my new install of Windows so I don't think it is that. Maybe I need to change permissions on the various Unity installed files and directories to fix this.

8. goat

goat

So in my case, even through some inherited permissions had no longer existing users on external USB HDDs and I fixed those it wouldn't have and didn't make a difference anyway.

The problem was the Unity was installed incorrectly so I removed Unity and re-installed using the install.bat file ran with 'Super-User' permission (i.e. run as Administrator a Windows system command tool and run install.bat)

9. monark

monark

In my case the files were on a network drive and I was trying to open them using a UNC path, once I mapped the path to a drive letter (Windows 7) it was all happy.

10. VerveGamez

VerveGamez

thanks alot

11. ArkonStudios

ArkonStudios

How do i get and administrator?

12. ArkonStudios

ArkonStudios

I kind of need an answer fast, cause unity maybe is gonna be my job.

13. LeliWow

LeliWow

Thanks, yo

14. gamer_seharsh

gamer_seharsh

Thanks a lot Spaunn

15. codyhoward0225

codyhoward0225

THANK YOU!!

16. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

I recently reformated my PC and left my data drives intact. I had the same issue and I had to "take ownership" every single time I launched unity.
    Turns out that to fix this issue permanently, I had to right click my drive, go to security and add my user with all permissions.

The reasoning is described here:
    https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix-inaccessible-hard-drives-and-recover-data/

Additionally, you will see that everything is "read only". That is due to the default access to anyone not admin being as such. However, for security reason, I'd recommend not allowing "everyone" access and just adding your username instead.

Thank you for the quick fix though, appreciate it.

mitaywalle and remyshehadeh like this.
  17. firewall606

firewall606

Thank you, friend!

18. Athir-

Athir-

I had this problem also, and all I did I go to the Windows Security > Virus & threat protection settings, and I turned off real time protection, cloud delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Tamper Protection. And I opened unity everything is fine. Don't forget to turn them on again.

jipsen and Hi5G like this.
  19. Hi5G

Hi5G

@Athir- Is right most time it's blocked by your security. So you just do what he and @spaunn said.

This should work fine, thank you so much both!

20. L453RCVN7

L453RCVN7

I Use an external disk and it work it :D

21. wolfyakuza47

wolfyakuza47

I am a dummy so I need to find out how to do this easily

22. ibnesina

ibnesina

Simple run as administrator works.
    thanks unity3diy blog

23. bansodeabhijit1997

bansodeabhijit1997

This might also happen if you are using dual boot system (Windows & Ubuntu) & try to open the project in a partition that is shared by both operating systems. You just have boot up windows and do the following in Power settings. error_image.jpg
    After this you can just log restart and continue with ubuntu and it will work fine
    This happens because sometimes Windows is did not let go the disk resource correctly.

24. Dave_Scadden

Dave_Scadden

wow just had this issue today 5 years later, thank you

25. wolfbeg

wolfbeg

Screenshot (11).png
    right click on unity hub and sellect quit unity hub and run it as administrator

torvald-mgt likes this.
  26. OperationDogBird

OperationDogBird

Running Unity Hub as administrator worked for me, thanks!

27. TheRealSeanK

TheRealSeanK

Me too!

28. DudeMantix

DudeMantix

If someone is still having this problem and couldn't solve it, see if windows is blocking it...

29. jipsen

jipsen

Thank you! My issue was real time protection. Turned that off and things worked as usual.