Search Unity

Feature Request Please make the animation window remember which animation/object was last selected.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Peeling, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Peeling

Peeling

This is the sequence that plays out every time:
    1. I click on the object in the hierarchy that has the animator.
    2. I double click on the animator controller in the animator. This opens the Animator window but deselects the object in the hierarchy.
    3. I click on a state and double-click on the Motion. This opens the Animation window, but - oh, there's no animatable object selected.
    4. I click on the animatable object. Again. The animation window fills with keys.
    5. I start editing.
    6. I realise that I am for the bazillionth time editing the wrong bloody animation
    7. I click again on the Motion in the animation state. It selects the animation in the project but doesn't change the one in the animation window.
    8. I click on the animation in the project. The animation window shows the correct keys!
    9. I start editing/scrubbing. Nothing happens. I remember yet again that selecting an animation from the project does not preview it on the object you had selected, even if that object has the animation in its controller.
    10. I click on the object in the hierarchy again and start editing.
    11. Go back to step 6.
    It's incredibly frustrating to have to scroll through a cumbersome drop-down of dozens of animations rather than just selecting them from the Animator.

lgarczyn likes this.
  2. lgarczyn

lgarczyn

This is still very much happening. I just don't get it.

3. lgarczyn

lgarczyn

Well I took 50 minutes to fix it, I solved the issue.

This listens to Selection events, checks if an animator state with an animation clip is selected, and if so, selects it in the
    AnimationWindow

Just put it in any Editor folder

Attached Files:

KenjiJU likes this.