Search Unity

Feedback Please let me deactivate the Hub menu bar icon on macOS

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Bradamante, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradamante

Bradamante

Unfortunately on macOS right now there are multiple apps that create icons in the main menu bar, including Skype, Razer Synapse and more. The Unity Hub is now one of them, while older versions were not. While others might find this feature useful, I do not. Instead my main menu bar is cluttered with icons.

So would you please add a checkbox in the settings that let me deactivate the menu bar icon? Good apps let me do that. Don't be a bad app Unity Hub. Be a good app.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Bradamante,

Thank you for your feedback. Since the Hub typically runs in the background it makes sense for it to have a menu bar icon. In fact I don't recall any previous version not including a menu bar icon. We'll consider adding an option to deactivate it, but I can't promise anything.

Best,

3. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

I second @Bradamante's suggestion. There's no reason to keep it there—in fact, there's no reason that Unity Hub needs to be open all the time at all. Is it no longer optional?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. tlieber

tlieber

I'd like to remove it, too.

Are you thinking of Windows? On macOS, Unity Hub also appears in the dock, so also being in the menu bar doesn't make it any easier to access.

5. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@tlieber The dock icon on MacOS is a known issue that we'll resolve eventually. Ideally there would only be the menubar icon.

6. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@AbrahamDUnity I don't think this is a solution, as menu bar clutter is a real problem that many power users (e.g. devs) care about. It also brings to mind a broader issue with Unity Hub: will it remain optional?

I posted a feedback thread asking for the ability to open Unity without Unity Hub opening automatically, something that seems to be a fairly recent change. I don't need another app open, and it's very strange (and decidedly non-standard) that in order to open a Unity project from within Unity (e.g. File->Open…), Unity Hub activates. It's also incredibly slow! What should be a simple process becomes an exercise in frustration.

I see the utility of Unity Hub as a place to manage Unity installations, define which projects open in which version, etc. But I don't see how moving core application functionality, such as New/Open Project, to an external application makes sense.

7. Baste

Baste

The reason is that they've made the Hub responsible for managing your login. That makes sense, as the Hub interacts with your login to show cloud projects and such.

In other words, the Hub opens when you do file->open due to a cascading failure of product and project management and poor ideas that stack on top of each other.

8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@BrainAndBrain you can definitely open the editor directly. To do so you will need to pass your project path as a command-line argument. You also have the option of opening the Hub to open your project then close it from the menu bar.

In a broader discussion the Hub is going to take on more responsibility in the Unity ecosystem as it stabilizes. We plan on making the user experience as smooth as possible -which means performance issues will be addressed. The Hub will also be more customizable to adapt to specific workflows. For instance you may be able to choose whether it automatically quits after opening a project or stays focused.

What we really want is to be as useful as possible when you need us and out of your way when you don't. Of course this can't be done without your help, which is why we need your feedback. Accommodating everyone isn't always possible but we will definitely consider a feature if a user speaks out in the forums. I hope that clarified our position on the matter.

Cheers,

Baste likes this.
  9. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Thanks for the information. I'm already closing the Hub after Unity launches, but it's good to know that I can use the command line. However, as someone who cares about user experience, I think there's unnecessary friction there, and that wasn't there until just recently. Software seems to be on a trend line of not respecting its users, and I don't want to see Unity moving in that direction, as in general it's been a tool I've been quite happy with.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Well I'd be glad to help remove this friction as much as possible. I don't think we'll go back to a native Editor window to create/open a project anytime soon but we can try and make the Hub launch faster and quit automatically :D.

11. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@AbrahamDUnity Thanks! To be more specific about the speed issue I encountered, File->Open… in Unity gave the Hub focus (it was already open), but it was a blank window for a while; then it finally displayed my list of projects. I suspect it was going out to the internet to fetch a project list, but it would be great if it would display local projects first, which should be instantaneous.

Thanks!

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the details. We don't fetch the projects online before showing the list but we do some file system validations that might take some time. I can't commit to a specific milestone but we will look into it.

Best,

13. Bradamante

Bradamante

I wasn't aware that the Unity Hub showing in the Dock is not intentional. Actually I like the way it is right now, i.e. the unintended behavior (shows in the Dock, but not in the menu bar). Let me elaborate.

In my opinion a running app that the user opened on macOS should show in the Dock. If it also has a menu bar icon I should be able to get rid of it. I appreciate the functionality Unity Hub provides currently and how it is designed. In my opinion however the Hub should show in the Dock alongside open Editor versions since I don't see it as a background service. The functionality the menu bar icon provides right now I don't need since I never have multiple Unity Editors open at the same time and I switch projects through the Hub.

Skype opens both in the Dock and the menu bar - I'd like to get rid of the latter but can't. I keep Skype running all the time (it automatically opens via System Settings -> Users -> Login items) but I wouldn't describe it as a service. I'd like to handle Unity Hub the same way. Some apps create such a Login item during installation, asking the user for permission.

Razer Synapse is an app in /Applications, but upon installation also installs a launch demon. You never open it manually, but it still shows as an icon in the menu bar. I am not ok with that since I can't get rid of it. It only shows in the Dock when opened manually via the app folder. Since Synapse is more a service than an app that behavior might be more justified, but the same is true for Little Snitch - a background tool that I open through /Applications when I need to make changes but doesn't have a menu bar or Dock icon. Still it's open automatically all the time thanks to it's launch demon.

You might even consider the method Menu Meters or the NVidia Web Drivers use. Installing a system preference pane that also shows as a deactivatable menu bar icon.

The general problem of a cluttered menu bar (especially on macOS notebooks since users often install power management tools) is the main driver of my complaint.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    neonblitzer and AbrahamDUnity like this.
  14. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Bradamante I understand your argument. To clarify we planned on not showing the dock icon only when no Hub windows are opened. We understand everyone has different preferences so we will likely add options to customize this behaviour. If the changes we make still don't accommodate your workflow please let us know then.

Cheers,

15. sssetz

sssetz

I would love if there was no dock icon and purely a persistent menu bar icon for the HUB. Its annoying to have both, let me choose maybe? I think ideally I can open it from the menu bar would be best, cheers.

16. B4ttleCat

B4ttleCat

I don't see the need for either as an "always on" thing TBH. If I want it—which is incredibly rare—I spotlight Unity Hub and it's there.

neonblitzer likes this.
  17. MaximPP

MaximPP

I still have two icons: in the dock and in the menu bar. Just one is enough

18. edwon

edwon

I second this! I want the option to remove the Unity Hub icon in the Mac menu bar. It's annoying, especially as that real estate is at a premium on the new MacBook Pro M1's with the notch. I prefer to just use the desktop hub anyways.

Viole and marcin-huuuge like this.
  19. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi there! Thank you for this request!
    I'll raise it with the hub team! :D

I'll close this thread for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.