Search Unity

Feedback Please improve Unity Editor Dropdown menus

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dgoyette, Aug 16, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

For the most part, dropdown menus within the Unity Editor contain only a small number of items. However, there are occasions where they may contains dozens or hundreds of items. In those cases, it's extremely cumbersome to deal with them.

For a good example of a worse-case scenario with this, go to Project Settings -> Script Execution Order, and click the "+" dropdown at the bottom right corner of the list. You'll be greeted by this monster:

upload_2019-8-15_22-12-56.png

The main issue I have with this control is that there is no fast way to move through the list. The only option is to click and hold the small "down" button at the bottom, and wait as Unity slowly scrolls through the items. In a brand-new project, this takes 24 seconds to reach the bottom. In my project, with contains many 1st- and 3rd-party scripts, scrolling to the bottom takes 88 seconds.

Now, I realize there are easier ways to get entries into the Script Execution Order list, but this is just an example of how badly this control behaves. From my perspective, the Dropdown popup is missing two key features:
    • Filtering - I should be able to start typing, filtering the list to only matching items.
    • Keyboard/Mouse scrolling - Some other way to scroll through the list, a faster way, either with the mouse scrollwheel or the page up/down keys.
    Sadly, this behavior wasn't changed as part of the 2019.3 UI makeover; the popup generated by the dropdown menu looks and behaves the same as ever. So, here's a request to give this control a bit of attention.

Wanderer13 and Lightning_A like this.
  2. ibbybn

ibbybn

Agreed, but if it's like the animation list popup you can hold down a letter and it will go through each entry with that start letter at least.

dgoyette likes this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks, I didn't know that. :) Very helpful.