Search Unity

Please help sharing data on NetworkBehaviours

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by thedude22, Sep 2, 2017.

1. thedude22

thedude22

Im trying to make a strategy game where each player will be in control of a number of unit prefabs. So I have a PlayerAssets script that contains a list of GameUnit, where both classes derive from NetworkBehaviour. To make my code more modular I want to separate out the player input controls onto a separate script, PlayerInput. I grab the list of gameunits from PlayerAssets into PlayerInput in the Awake function via:
    Code (csharp):
    2. List<GameUnit> myUnits = GetComponent<PlayerAssets>().myUnits;
    but the results are not the same. The list shows up as empty on the input script, when it has a unit in it in the assets script. Does anyone know why this would happen? This is a reference variable. They should always be the same. Is the list serialized when I retrieve it? Why would that happen? These are not even networked variables, just local client bookkeeping. I can always do everything in one script, but I'd like to keep things more modular with shorter scripts.

2. thedude22

thedude22

Nevermind. The timing was just wrong. It wasn't populated on the first frame. Please delete this thread.