Search Unity

Please Help -- Moving Project to New Computer

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chris_underwood, Aug 30, 2018.

1. chris_underwood

chris_underwood

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to move a project from an old computer to my new computer. I made a package of my project, put it on Google Drive, and brought to my new computer. I made a new scene and opened the package in that new scene. All of the assets that I used in the scene on the old computer are in the new computer when I open on the new computer (including the cinemachines and all of their movements/keyframe animations, but otherwise, the scene is empty except for the main camera and the directional light. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!!

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

When you did export, have you select current scene / opened scene with its dependencies? Or you could export everything. Then compress it. I.e. zip, for uploading.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Typically to move a project you'd just copy the entire project folder.

If you made a new scene, of course there would just be a directional light and camera. That's what new scenes look like. You'd have to open your old scene to see the contents of that old scene.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, I always just use a direct folder copy.

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  5. chris_underwood

chris_underwood

All I know is that when I sent the Unity package to my teacher, he was able to open it, and now I can't

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Then don't use a package, but the recommendations offered here.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Baste

Baste

If the project is too large, don't copy the Library or Temp folders, as those are rebuilt by Unity. If that's too much, make a zip of the rest.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Agreed, no need for the Library folder and can save a ton of space in your zip file.

9. Rikuredo

Rikuredo

Normally when importing a new package it will automatically remain on the scene in the new project until you go into your folders and open the scene that came along with the package!