Search Unity

Please help me!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeremyace, Dec 26, 2005.

1. jeremyace

jeremyace

I just got a copy of Softimage XSI foundation 5 for christmas and I have a problem.

No fbx support for version 5?! There is for 4.5.

Anyone have any idea where I can get a converter/plugin/something? I am pretty desperate here.

The formats I KNOW xsi 5 supports are:
    dotxsi, obj, and some others that have converters on the web. I even read on a softimage interview that xsi 5 supports fbx!

The dotXSI sdk and of course the fbx sdk are available, but there is no chance in heck that I can write my own converter.

I am screwed if I can't get this to work... :(

What I see as my (only?) option is polytrans, but man, I already shelled out some moderate change for xsi!

If anyone has any ideas how I can still use xsi I would really appreciate the info as I can't afford polytrans...:(

Thanks guys and sorry for my exasperation, was excited about it until I fired it up and found out I spent $625 for something I can't use. Very disappointed.

-Jeremy

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

UPDATE:
    I was about to shut XSI down for the night when I got a random idea to try the outdated XSI 4.2 FBX plugin to see what error messages it spit so I could figure out if I could force xsi 5 to read it and... it just worked. :eek:

It *seems* to be working fine so far, I tested an animation with a cube, then a character animation which didn't work, but it was an advanced xsi sample character so it had a lot of other stuff on it. I did get the bones with the character though and I was able to move them around in unity.

As far as I can tell this is working. Anyone have any info on a proper 5.0 plugin though?

This post has become noise now (sorry) but I will leave it up for anyone else who also has this problem.

-Jeremy

3. Guest

You got a 500 USD professional 3d application and dont know how to use it? Why did you put it on your wishlist? You should try beginner Software like Cinema 4d for starting.

4. freyr

freyr

Remember that you are talking to real persons on the forum. The Unity forums have been very pleasant so far. Let's all try keeping it that way. Be polite.

Getting an unsupported FBX plug-in to work even partially is not what I call not knowing how to use a product. Please read the posts before replying.

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

Whoever you are, if you were to re-read my posts you will see I was asking if anyone knew where to find an FBX plugin for XSI 5.0. Alias now owns the FBX sdk and hasn't created a plugin for 5.0 yet.

A fair amount changed between 4.2 and 5.0 so I figured the OLD plugin wouldn't work in 5.0. When companies do a large rewrite, the old stuff usually stops working.

It was completely unnecessary for you to post at all if you have nothing productive to write other than calling me an idiot. What software I choose to use has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with you, and it would be helpful for you to keep those kind of comments to yourself unless you are trying to help.

This is a really good forum, and it would be best to keep it helpful and polite and not turn it into a bickering match.

If you were trying to help by giving "advice" or something, then I really apologize as I misread your post. But it remains that it is after the fact.

Sorry, that's just the way I see it.

-Jeremy

6. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Relax, guys. Pretty sure that -brave- anonymous poster is just a troll that found the post through a search or something (ironic.) At least I hope that's how it happened. :roll: