Search Unity

[Please Help] 2D keeping an object within a fixed radius from main object

Discussion in '2D' started by ClownOfMadness, Feb 16, 2020.

1. ClownOfMadness

ClownOfMadness

Hello.

Im trying to make a certain sprite to follow mouse position but stay within a fixed radius from the main player sprite, so it will look like it only circles around the player. i need to only lock the distance of from another without touching rotation of the object as i need them to stay in the same rotation. the game isn't a clean 2D axis game, I am using the z and x axis.

Thank you in advance!

2. ClownOfMadness

ClownOfMadness

Code (CSharp):
    1. void StepRotateMovement()
    2.     {
    3.         lockedDistance = Vector3.Distance(shadow.transform.position, transform.position);
    5.         shadow.transform.position = convertedMousePosition;
    7.         if (lockedDistance != 3f)
    8.         {
    9.             Vector3 fromOriginToObject = shadow.transform.position - transform.position;
    10.             fromOriginToObject *= 3f / lockedDistance;
    11.             shadow.transform.position = transform.position + fromOriginToObject;
    12.         }
    13.     }
    this is what I tried doing but as of result i am getting the shadow object to glitch infinitely between the center and its new position. besides that it doesn't lock its distance and instead it only reduces it.

3. PuppyPolice

PuppyPolice

I think can tell you the reason it flickers its due to you setting shadows position at line 5 and then switches it again at line 11 causing it to switch from position to position. You can add an else statement to the if statement and move line 5 to the else block and it should fix the flicker, I think