Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Please expose implicit dependencies in Packages list (under Project view)

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by bitinn, Oct 19, 2018.

1. bitinn

bitinn

For example, look at LWRP 4.0.1 package.json:

There is no way to inspect a package's implicit dependencies within Unity, this is a problem when you need to hunt down issues like "why isn't TEXTURE2D_SAMPLER2D defined?" when your shader depends on LWRP lib and LWRP lib depends on libs from SRP Core.

My shader:

LWRP Core.hlsl:

Since only LWRP is installed explicitly, only LWRP is shown in the Packages List. But I argue, and I have argued before, not showing implicitly installed packages are just creating troubles for users.

I can search through Library/PackageCache to find the code. But I would much prefer to browse the implicit packages within Project view.

In short, please help make porting built-in pipeline shaders to LWRP easier, by making implicit dependencies browse-able in Unity, Thx!

M_R likes this.
  2. M_R

M_R

I also submitted a report for this. (case 1057210).
    (my use case was about entities depending on mathematics, jobs, burst, collections and incremental compiler btw)

tldr:
    Project > Packages should contain everything, possibly differentiating if a package is included implicitly, explicitly from registry, as local, or embedded.
    PM UI should list all dependencies inside the packages and also mark listed packages that are installed implicitly as such.

3. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi everyone,

This is on our plan for the next major release (not the upcoming 2018.3 but the following release). If you have any interest in testing this in alpha, please let me know by direct message.

Thanks
    Daniel

4. bitinn

bitinn

Quick question: so the listing of packages in Project view is handled by Unity and not Package Manager?

I would love to use it but I am sticking with 2018.3 / 2018.4 LTS: I waited so long for LWRP to be stable, I can't really convince myself to enter another cycle of breaking changes :)

5. DanielTG

DanielTG

@bitinn
    Sorry for delay responding. The Package Manager core system is part of the Unity (the package manager UI itself is a package). Also to clarify, we are first exposing dependencies in the Package Manager UI and will explore how best to represent dependencies in the Project View at a later date.

Re: LWRP. FYI, that package is set to leave 'preview' status in the 2019.1 release. We're happy to see that it's stable for you in 2018.3/.4 LTS but yes more changes will inevitably come once that package is officially 'verified'.

Thanks
    Daniel

6. bitinn

bitinn

Thx! Not a major issue for me. I have come to accept this and install all implicit dependency explicitly now :)