Search Unity

Please explain how it works

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by shlakva, May 26, 2021.

1. shlakva

shlakva

Hello

I'm new to shader's logic in unity and currently I'm learning GrabPass.

I saw several implementations of GrabPass and they contained this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. v2f vert(appdata_t v) {
    2. v2f o;
    3. ...
    4. o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    5. o.uvgrab.xy = (float2(o.vertex.x, o.vertex.y) + o.vertex.w) * 0.5;
    6. ...
    7. }
    Could someone please explain, why after applying MVP matrix we do some calculations on X and Y of uvgrab? And of course explain this math.

Thanks!

P.S. Why no tutorial explain math of shader they using?

2. bgolus

bgolus

Clip space is a type of screen space coordinate system. The range of clip.xy for what appears on screen is values between -clip.w and +clip.w. If you want to understand why, look up “homogeneous clip space coordinates”.

The short version is if you’re using an orthographic camera, the w value is always 1.0. So the above code is taking x and y, and rescaling a -1.0 to 1.0 range to a 0.0 to 1.0 range. But in a way that’ll only work with an orthographic camera.

With a perspective camera, w is the world scale view depth. So the above code without also passing the clip space w value and dividing the xy in the fragment by that w value will at worst produce complete junk, or at best a warped image. Again, look up “homogeneous coordinates” to find out why.

The short version: Just use the example code in Unity’s documentation.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-GrabPass.html

3. shlakva

shlakva

First of all, @bgolus I want to say thanks to you , because I'm learning shaders logic surfing this forum and reading your comments.

Second, I know homogeneous coordinates and thats why I asked this question. Several tutorials used line 5 in their code with perspective camera, looks like without understanding what they are doing. This broke my brain.

Why do we need to rescale -1..1 to 0..1 in the shader context? Where the profit is?

4. bgolus

bgolus

Unless there's a bit of code also passing the w component, yeah, it's broken.

If it is passing the w component, then it's fine.

It's rescaling to 0.0 to 1.0 because it's a UV for sampling the grab pass texture, which is a copy of the render target.