Search Unity

Feedback Please enable Interaction Mode: Monitor Refresh Rate by default.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by enhawk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. enhawk

enhawk

In Unity 2019, "Monitor Refresh Rate" is the Default. In 2020 and 2021, this is not the case, it is set to "Default" AKA "run as fast as possible".

I'm seeing more threads about Graphics cards running at full speed and Wait for semaphore in the profiler. This also happened to me and was a real head scratcher.

I was able to make Unity run at the same speed as my monitor, and stop my graphics card from running at full speed when using the editor by:

• "Preferences > General > Interaction Mode > " change "Default" to "Monitor Refresh Rate".
      (you'll also need to check Game > Aspect > Vsync to ON for this to work during play mode)

My request is; can Interaction Mode be set to Monitor Refresh Rate by default like in previous versions of Unity? (and perhaps set Game window Vsync to ON also?)

Reason for request: current Editor default settings make graphics cards run at full speed regardless of what they are rendering. It's confusing for users to hear their GPU spin up when running an empty scene, and we'll collectively save on everyones electricity bills ;) If some advanced users need the interaction mode uncapped, maybe they can go in and change this setting?

Right now isn't the default catering to unique use cases, instead of the general use case?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022