Search Unity

Feedback Please don't use appimage and instead allow us to install unityhub from a package manager

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Shadowblitz16, May 1, 2021.

1. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Please don't use appimage they don't integrate well with the system or the application menu and appimage daemons don't seem to work.

consider uploading it to a package manager or allowing us to add the repo and install it with apt

2. MadWatch

MadWatch

I used Appimage Launcher on the Unity Hub official appimage and it is perfectly integrated with the application menu and the rest of the system. I did that on several distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu and Manjaro) and it always worked.

Packages have their one problems. The Unity dev team would have to repackage Unity for each version of each distribution they want to support. And that would make it a pain in the ass for user who want to install Unity on non officially supported distros.

Also, adding a repo can easily break your system. This is the reason why I don's use PPAs any more.

I think the Unity dev team made the right move by choosing appimage.

heitorzorah likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

For me on Mint, it has never integrated with the menu either but creating a launcher is no big deal, really. ;)

I agree with that. :)

4. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

I had to manually move the appimage to ~/.appimage/unity, download a icon for it and then add it to the kubuntu menu
    Appimage launcher doesn't seem to work for me tho

5. MadWatch

MadWatch

You shouldn't even need to move anything. You only have to download the appimage then double click it and then you should see a message like this (if appimage launcher is installed. I think it's installed by default but I'm not sure).

Screenshot_20210502_225823.png

Then click "Integrate and run" and voila, your appimage will be moved to your chosen application directory and integrated with the rest of your system. You will be able to find it in the Kubuntu menu then.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to make it executable before double clicking it, in the permissions tab of the properties.

I've never got that integration message on Mint but like I say, I can live with(out) it. ;)

7. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

There is a known issue with the Unity AppImage not integrating correctly with GNOME. Please see the pinned thread here for the workaround: https://forum.unity.com/threads/temporary-workaround-for-hub-bug.989477/

It would be cool to see the Hub in package managers in the future. Your best bet for making your wish known on that side would be to post in the Hub forum.

My team meets with the Hub team every month and we've discussed this. There is no current plan to do implement this as the Hub team has limited resources to produce a product across 3 platforms. But making your voice heard does have an impact on the direction of the product.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks like there is also an issue with the appimage not integrating correctly with Xfce... :)

9. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

@MadWatch I never got that dialog, maybe it was because I was on kubuntu 20.10?
    I know I just immediately added it manually in kubuntu 20.04

@KevinWelton kubuntu doesn't use gnome though it uses kde plasma.
    I just moved it and a custom icon to `/home/shadowblitz16/.appimage/unity3d/`
    it seems to work for the most part although a lot of plugins don't seem to work I have made issues on their repo's

10. JohanAR

JohanAR

Integrated just fine for me, and I'm using Xubuntu. I've had the Unity Hub for quite some time, so perhaps this is a regression?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe but it's no longer a problem for me. :)

12. MostHated

MostHated

I cannot stand having to run the hub from an appimage. It causes any additional windows, both from Unity and external programs to all stack under the same panel icon, such as Rider, and any additional windows I then open via Rider.

I have had to resort to writing a script that launches my projects from the actual Editor executable with the path passed in. Though, even when doing that, for some reason, the hub still finds a way to open itself up, even if I try to pass in my login ID and serial so that it would not have to check registration. But... at least doing it this way, I can simply close the hub and each of my application icons remain separate and stacked on their own parent, as they should be.