Search Unity

Feedback Please, change this, that's the only thing i ask.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GabrielBigardi, Mar 2, 2021.

1. GabrielBigardi

GabrielBigardi

Hello, first i want to say sorry if that's not the correct category for placing this, but it's been really hard to find where to send suggestions to improve Unity so i decided to create a thread in here.
    So, here is the thing, i was doing a script and i have OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), and i was wanting to make a public variable not show in the Inspector, and the solution was to use [HideInInspector], that two words combining "HideInInspector" really pissed me off, don't ask me why because i don't know how to control my OCD, why not "HideFromInspector" instead?
    I know this may looks like something that's not really important, but as i've talked this to other devs they all agreed that this "InIn" thing is annoying as hell... I'm pretty sure a lot of other devs have OCD too, and they will probably find this annoying, so i really want to see it being changed from [HideInInspector] to [HideFromInspector], as it also makes more sense.

Thanks since now,
    Gabriel Bigardi.

2. Because names should mirror the functionality. This doesn't hide the given element from the Inspector, it hides the element in the inspector, so the user can't see it by default. Sometimes it is an important distinction.

Ryiah, Socrates, Martin_H and 4 others like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

"InInspector" makes more sense, because Inspector is a display area and not an entity that actively seeks components. I.e. it is "passive".

A more descriptive name would be DoNotDisplayInInspector, but InIn would still remain.

Ryiah, Socrates and angrypenguin like this.
  4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Use a property. Problem solved.

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Hide in inspector shouldn't be needed you either use the serialize attribute on private members or you use public members for those that should be visible from inspector

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

While it's rare, there are perfectly valid cases where you may want something serialized but for it not to be visible or editable in the Inspector. Values automatically calculated at edit time are an example of this, they should neither clutter the interface nor be present for a human to accidentally change.

NotaNaN, unity-freestyle and xVergilx like this.
  7. MDADigital

MDADigital

Properties

8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

So far its pretty obvious this is a big resounding "No" with the rest of users. IMO its a petty thing to ask for, when there are much more important things to work on.

N1warhead, MDADigital and Martin_H like this.
  9. N1warhead

N1warhead

Like grass and speedtree support for HDRP? LOL

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Catering to OCD is not what Unity should be spending dev cycles on IMO.

zombiegorilla and xVergilx like this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'd like to clarify that I've nothing against catering to OCD. The name as it is may be correct,but that's not the point.

Question: if you make a new attribute class which extends an existing one,will the Editor still honor it? Could be an easy, user side solution if it works.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I believe the editor will honor it, so this could be a great solution for OP that does not impact others at the same time