Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Please change "Scripting Define Symbols" field to a TextArea

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by bitinn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. bitinn

bitinn

Hi, I know this might be too late for 2018.3b or even 2018 LTS, but I find working with scripting define symbols terribly inconvenient.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 16.33.57.png

With a few assets it's quite likely the keywords are much longer than the input field itself, and Unity default to auto highlight all text.

I would say 90% of time users come here either:

- want to see what's in it.
    - want to select a keyword or add/remove a keyword.

A TextArea with force text wrap is much better for users, and users can cancel the highlight and place their cursor much easier.

(I do change the value quite a few times due to asset like Rewired using Scripting Define Symbols to suppress features like Unity Input Override.)

Thx

SirIntruder likes this.
  2. Foriero

Foriero

Yes that is very much needed. Also its own tab a reorderable list would be super great.

3. bitinn

bitinn

This is a better idea, not sure it need to be sortable, is it order dependent?

4. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Unity Technologies

I've now added a task to our backlog to improve this.

luispedrofonseca, bitinn and SugoiDev like this.
  5. DuskLight-Studios

DuskLight-Studios

It seems there is a limit to how many symbols you can add. If you add too many, the last few are ignored by the preprocessor, and your code won't compile. I'm in a situation where I need a lot of scripting define symbols, but haven't found a solution yet.

Did anyone encounter this before?

unityunity