Search Unity

Please announce the dates for Unite North America much sooner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syscrusher, Jul 1, 2019.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

I understand that Unite is a large conference and that some details might not be nailed down until a couple of months before, but we are now in July, and there has been (as far as I can see) no announcement of the dates for Unite North America. Dates for Copenhagen, Tokyo, Singapore, and India are announced, and India is not happening until November.

There seems to be a pattern with NA being announced much closer to its actual date than the others. Professionals need time to plan around a week-long conference with respect to customer-facing projects, vacation leave, other business travel, etc. Having served as a Board member for a mid-sized open source conference held at a major convention center, I am aware of the complexity of securing a convention venue, and I also know that this is not something that is done at the last minute. Perhaps the venue (even at the level of what city or region) can't be pre-announced until arrangements with hotels are finalized, but surely the dates have been finalized and could be announced as they are for other Unite venues.

Even if a venue can't be announced right away, I would respectfully request that Unity announce ASAP the dates for Unite 2019 North America, and that in future years you make it a priority to settle on -- and announce -- the dates for North America with the same amount of lead time as those of the other Unite conferences.

Thanks for listening.

Ryiah likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We are not doing a Unite NA this year.
    Instead we will be hosting Developer Days in major cities within the US. Keep an eye on https://unity3d.com/event

3. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm very sad to hear no Unite NA this year, but thanks for letting me know. Our team was needing to plan around this with respect to another travel week, so now we can proceed.

karl_jones likes this.
  4. syscrusher

syscrusher

By the way, do you think Unite NA will be back next year (I realize that's not your decision, since your profile says "Software Developer", but I thought the folks in Marketing might have mentioned this in the same correspondence or conversation where you learned they're not doing one this year).

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I dont believe any decisions have been made yet, or at least I am unaware of them. We usually announce the Unites in January to give people plenty of time to plan.
    https://twitter.com/unity3d/status/1090901942455488512?lang=en

6. syscrusher

syscrusher

Oh! I never noticed it on the Twitter feed. Silly me, I just kept checking unite.unity.com every few weeks expecting to see an announcement. EDIT: When I wrote this, I intended it to be taken literally, not as sarcasm. It was a bit of a facepalm moment for me that I never thought to look for news items on Unity's feed on a site that is built for such things. I apologize if it sounded like I was snarking at you, @karl_jones, because my actual intent was to make fun of myself.

I do follow @Unity3D but the announcement (which I now see on that timeline) got lost in the noise of Twitter. Next year I know to pay closer attention in the early part of the year.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Ryiah and karl_jones like this.