Search Unity

Feedback Please add "Unity Projects Folder" setting to Hub options

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rz_0lento, Jan 14, 2020.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I really really really want this because this is easily one of my top annoyances with Unity Hub.

Let me explain this a bit. Right now when you hit New project button, it'll suggest you to use parent folder from your last added/new project's root. This is not something I want at all and I don't get why Unity came into conclusion this would be a good thing. Now I constantly end up cleaning up things right after project creation as I always forget Hub does this.

Because of this design, I often end up having new projects in totally random locations, often inside some cloned git folders which have the actual sample project further down their path. This happens because Unity Hub defaults the new project path to the last added projects parent folder which is NEVER what I'd want to happen. Instead I just want to place new projects under same parent folder and not give Unity Hub any power on overriding my default location behind my back.

This would be easily fixed if Unity would let us put generic root folder for new projects (like done on most tools like this).

2. BradZoob

BradZoob

I'd be content for being able to locate the project path index, I can't find the references anywhere in the configs but i certainly don't want to be manually remapping 200 projects.

3. BradZoob

BradZoob

And why 200 projects? maybe ask unity why installing a demo of their Particle systems requires a new project lest you wreck whatever project you're currently in. If you're gonna build holes please add shovels to your systems.

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm still constantly super annoyed by this - to a point I want to write my own Hub alternative.

What's even worse, it's Unity's own example repos that make using Hub with the current workflow a major pain (as they almost always put their example projects in a subfolder inside the repo, so even if I clone the repo on my default unity projects folder, the moment I add it to Hub, it makes a NEW default under that repo). Like for example I just added ML-Agents example project in Hub again and next new project I made put it into subfolder of ML Agents repo as obviously I didn't realize to double check that path again.

I can't stress enough how flawed this current workflow is. Please, just give us alternative to point all new projects to our own preferred location. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  5. fherbst

fherbst

I second this.

6. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for taking the time and submitting this great piece of feedback, @rz_0lento . I can understand your frustration and brought this up with the team.

rz_0lento likes this.
  7. fherbst

fherbst

While you're here, @BasilUnity -

can you please please make the team aware that Hub Bug Case 1173030 is still ongoing (Unity project version detection being wrong when switching between project states on disk in git) and a giant workflow issue. I'm managing a mixed team of artists and developers here and I have to fight with this issue after every single Unity upgrade where basically the projects break on all artist machines because Hub is not able to actually check the project version when opening.

Happy to explain more why this is such a huge pain.

8. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing significant problems with your workflow, @fherbst . That does sound very annoying. To me, it sounds like a conversation best saved for another thread, especially since the defect is already logged in FogBugz.

@rz_0lento made a really good suggestion here that many of us agree with. As a result, this item was added to the team's backlog.

rz_0lento likes this.
  9. fherbst

fherbst