Search Unity

Please add the ability to choose a download channel

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rob8861, May 9, 2018.

1. rob8861

rob8861

Hi,

I noticed that for packages which have both a stable and a preview version, the PM only allows me to download the preview version, while the stable is only available from the Asset Store.
    For example, the Post Processing Stack , ProGrids and probably others.

I think to make this more user friendly and with better Editor integration, the PM should allow us to switch the release channel (stable or preview). Otherwise, it is quite confusing because some packages are offered as stable and some as preview.

Thanks
    P.S: if there is already a way to do that, I'd appreciate if someone can explain that to me. I've read the docs and couldn't find a way to do it.

2. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rob, the features we migrated from the Asset Store to the Package Manager were marked as preview packages so we can gather up usage data before they are considered for release channel.

In general, the UI will always show you release channel upgrades first, if one is available, and if none is available, then we will show the preview update for your consideration.

Upcoming versions of the package manager UI will allow you to see all versions available for any given package, and to chose which version of the package you wish to update to.

BaalEvan likes this.
  3. rob8861

rob8861

Thank you Eric,
    Glad to hear that future versions of the PM will let me choose the version of the package.