Search Unity

Please add some color to my life

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by liortal, Oct 27, 2018.

1. liortal

liortal

Not sure whether this should actually be posted under the "new editor theme" thread.

You should really add some color to the icons in the hierarchy view:
    upload_2018-10-27_14-26-42.png

Examples from other tools

Rider IDE
    upload_2018-10-27_14-31-33.png

Visual Studio Code

upload_2018-10-27_14-32-30.png

eobet likes this.
  2. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes it would be great.

Those distinctions, color and/or icon should be based on object type, and it's unclear which one should be displayed. For example, if a GameObject has a Light and a Collider, which should be displayed in the Hierarchy?

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I think the first component (except Transform) should be displayed, as it give control to the user and still have good default.

benoitd_unity likes this.
  4. Rimmorn

Rimmorn

Pick the most relevant one for each item in Create and let users change it if they want to (like after adding components to an empty GO)

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Microsoft redesigned icons for Visual Studio around 2011/2012. Icons were made all grayscale in VS at this time, but MS learned that it wasn't the best option.
    1. https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/.../2623017-add-some-color-to-visual-studio-2012
    2. https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/...g-back-full-color-icons-to-visual-studio-2012

I believe Unity Technologies will come to the same conclusion and add more colored icons again, since it's an obvious way to improve readability in the UI.

6. StevenDelrue

StevenDelrue

Would be nice if we can asign custom icons to prefabs and components in the Hierarchy view

7. BKprod

BKprod

I agree, be able to select one of the icons from this menu could be great.

8. dadude123

dadude123

That really seems like the most obvious choice.

Or maybe, just provide an API to set a custom image, people would probably be all over that.
    Even though that'd be the best solution to please everyone, it would not be something that can actually be shown off in release videos since it's not something built-in.

But manually assigning icons will get old very quickly if you have a lot of objects and you want them to have icons according to some custom rule...

9. Please, Unity, if you ever want to allow users to dress up the editor like a clown, make sure that this function can be turned permanently off by the end-user. I want to disable it and don't allow any 3rd-party asset to assign colorful icons in my editor. The custom "designer" inspectors are nightmare enough already.