Search Unity

Feature Request Please add Jump to Asset or a Backup option

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Rowlan, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I don't want to overwrite assets, definitely not with the long delays that the Asset Store has for publishers to fix their assets. So I create backups myself manually. I just wanted to implement a "Jump to Asset" option, but the Package Manager is locked and has no public API.

So please
    • implement an automatic backup option for assets before you update them or
    • a jump to asset option which opens the explorer at the destination of the asset for quick manual access

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

I think they're working on heavily improving the assets workflow in 2022+.
    Maybe make a feature request on the unity roadmaps as well

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Good idea. I added a feature request to the roadmap

DevDunk likes this.
  4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You mean because you modified that package?
    This shouldn't be an issue because to make such custom modified packages you would normally copy their contents into the Assets folder. That also puts it under the project's source control which, since you are modifying it, is a must have. IMO this "backup" process is generally your job, not Unity's. ;)

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's about the assets you download. It's either Unity creates backups on my local machine or it gives me access to previous versions.

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

If you mean "packages" from the Asset Store, they don't update automatically and are somewhere in the project's Asset path and thus any older versions are (should be) in source control.

The store assets are also downloaded to a common folder so you don't need the Package Manager API to add some kind of "open assets folder" menu item. Use OpenURL with a file:// url or EditorUtility.RevealInFinder(path) (undocumented but public).

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

And how do I get the local file url of the currently selected asset of the package manager?

8. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Well, you don't. But if you open the folder with all assets in it it's just the same list as in Package Manager, just perhaps more technical names. You don't even have to go into Package Manager to begin with. You could also simply setup and make frequent backups of changes in that folder with any backup software. Or put it under source control, that way you can also inspect all differences of the asset before importing it into your project.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

No