Search Unity

Please add animation previews to the "Select AnimationClip" window

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by imaginationrabbit, Apr 29, 2021.

1. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

I'm a professional filmmaker currently finishing up an animated feature film made in Unity (trailer here)

Can you please add the ability to preview humanoid animations to the "Select AnimationClip" window?

I preview/load in hundreds of animation clips a day for my cutscenes and without a preview in that window it is really a slow, clunky and oftentimes frustrating workflow.

It would save so much time if the preview that is displayed when browsing .anim files in the inspector was visible in the above window. The file name and path is not useful at all when browsing animations.

Something like this is what I'm requesting

Is this possible now? If so, how? If the animations auto-played it would be perfect.

My workflow right now to load in an .anim file is like this-

-Search in the project window for an animation so I can see a preview
    -Click the animation clip field to load the clip I want

* Since I cannot preview the clip within the window I'm loading them in- I have to either remember the name of the clip or keep the clip active in the project window to drag and drop it. Both ways are not good.

Thank you for your time.

Ruchir likes this.
  2. Ruchir

Ruchir

I think it would be really helpful for a lot of other objects as well to have an option for a full preview instead of just a thumbnail preview.