Search Unity

Feedback Please add an option to the default Unity terrain to generate hard edges

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MCrafterzz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

The default terrain tool is pretty good, especially with the new tools that are coming now so it's such a shame that it doesn't support the low poly look. Having to recreate the whole tool just to have hard edges defently shouldn't be required but today it is. So please add an option or just a shader. I've found one asset that costs like 10$ but nothing free. A built-in option won't happen any time soon so does anyone know how to create a custom shader that does that? The lwrp terrain shader doesn't even use the shader graph so I don't know how I would start. Summarized:
    1. The default terrain should have an option to generate sharp edges
    2. How would I do a LWRP shader that does that?

AmandaF likes this.
  2. AmandaF

AmandaF

I'll second this request.
    That being said, which tool did you find to create hard edges?

3. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

4. jbooth

jbooth

The only way to do it in the shader is to use a geometry shader to split the vertices, or use a global normal map and quantize the lookups (or use point sampling, but likely not the approximation you want), or if you have a way to get barycentric coordinates. But note that on a Unity terrain, the topology of the terrain is not reliable due to LODs, so you don't really want the hard edges on the triangles- because they'll change constantly.

Geometry shaders are slow, and going away on newer APIs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Hmm that was sad too hear. I still would like low poly terrains :/