Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Please add an additional comment/description field to the keys

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by YD_JMysior, Sep 26, 2023.

1. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

When designing a Remote Confige workflow and the key/value pairs structure for our games I'm missing a field in which I could describe what the given key/value is changing in the game. The tool is often later used by the marketing team and having such field would enable us to create a context based documentation for them.

This could work similarly to the event parameters in the Analytics dashboard. Each event parameter has a "Description" field which I use to leave notes to my future self or my teammates. Having the same functionality in Remote Config for the key/value pairs would make things a lot simpler.

Best regards!

2. GabKBelmonte

GabKBelmonte

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    I have a few questions about your use-case.
    Are your values always primitives (int, long, strings) or objects?
    Do you use in-editor workflows or the CLI?

I'm asking because I can think of a few simple alternatives...
    If you are using file-based workflows (either CLI or Editor), you could have comments in the JSON files, or duplicate keys.

If you use objects, you could structure your content accordingly:
    {code}
    "diifculty" : { "description" : "this dictates difficulty", "value" : 3 }
    {code}

Whether or not the feature will be taken in consideration is an aside, trying to see if what's available could unblock you

3. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Hey Gab,
    I'm using primitives only. It's perfectly sufficient for our use case and, call me old-fashioned, I'm not trusting my marketing team to edit the JSON files and not mess something up :) I'm using the in-editor Remote Config window to create the keys and Push them to the dashboard.
    In the old RemoteSettings I ended up just duplicating all the keys and adding "dummy" keys just for description purposes, but that makes the dashboard messy and is far from ideal. I was hoping this kind of thing to be more convenient (like the "Description" field in the custom parameters in Analytics) - hence this Feature request.

augustoDebard likes this.